Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha or Dean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oddman545, May 14, 2002.

1. Ok. I'm gonna have exactly $430 dollars later in a month or so, and I am looking for a good quality 5-string bass. I have found a few on musiciansfriend.com that I can afford and look nice, but of course I'd like to get your opinions first. So if you've ever played eiter of these, or just wanna suggest something, let me know :cool: .

The Dean:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6093563185/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/51504

The Yamahas:
    http://music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=Yam0124200214063&uid=30CE227C1C64457100748978C0943709
    and another one:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6093563185/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/59176

I'm not really sure which one I should get, I want the most quality for my money, and these three look good, and I can afford them. So please let me know which ones you think would be the best...

Oddman

2. Yamaha. I haven't played either of the Yammers you posted, but, I have a BBN5 II 5 string that has an absolutely great sound to it. I just wanted to get a 5er to have one, but, I'm pretty attached to mine. It cost $399 a year ago. The two you are considering are the new models for 2002, I think. I also have the Nathan East NE-1 EQ which I like alot, so if you can get it in the BB605 onboard for the same price I paid for mine without it, you're already ahead of the game. I haven't played the Dean you're thinking about so I can't offer an opinion on it. Overall Yamaha is very hard to beat for quality of build, features and price. (in any price range) I also bought a Yamaha Telecaster six string guitar copy about 2 months ago; again - the quality is there. My opinion out of those three would be the BB605 if I were to buy one sight unseen.(unplayed)

Good luck to you whichever one you buy.
    Mike J.

3. Tough choice... both Yamaha and Dean are very good basses at excellent prices..

in this option i would probably go for the Yamaha 405.. even tho they're passive, they have very high output and sound almost active..

4. I say Dean. I have a Edge 4 (getting de-fretted:) ) and it's an AWESOME deal for the cash. 5 peice maple walnut neck, grover tuners, and so on.

but if I were you (and I'm not), I would spend the extra bread and get one of these.

Edge Q5

Edge 5

with one of these you'll get a little more for your money. the only thing is, they replaced the EMG pickups on the Edge 5 with Dean brand pups.

5. Go with the Yamaha BB405. It looks like a dead ringer for my BBG5A. I think the only difference is that mine has active electronics. They sound great, and every Yammer I've played has had an awesome B.

The Yamaha BB series is just plain good stuff.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless and my brother has a Yamaha 5 string that's a few years older but similar to the one you're looking at.

Both basses are extremely good for the money. The Dean has a nicer neck in my opinion. It's got a more comfortable playing profile, and is a 5 piece Maple/Walnut laminate. The Yamaha is a single piece of quartersawn Maple and is chunkier. Also, the Dean has a 35" scale, mine has a very solid feeling and sounding "B" string.

If you like wider string spacing the Yamaha problably has a wider neck at the nut. The Yamaha has better body wood (Alder instead of Basswood). If you can get an older Dean with the EMG-HZ pickups the Dean has better pickups. If the Dean is a current model they are equivalent.

Bottom line you will be happy with either of these basses. They both represent an exceptional value for your dollar and will both groove as hard as you want.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Both are good choices, I have owned three Yamaha's and I have always been impressed with them. I would rather look at Ebay for a used BB3000 or a used BB5000 than either of the ones on your thread. You can get a used BB3000 on Ebay for about $400.00, it is exactly the same bass as the one that Micheal Anthony is endorsing right now and that costs well over a grand.

8. Wow...Thanks. I've looked at all the links you've given me also, and I like that quilted one. I'm suprised I got this many replies, and I really appreciate it :D . I'm not really sure yet, of course I will try to play as many as I can before I make up my mind. Thanks for helping me out,

Oddman

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yamaha. I haven't been overly impressed with the low B's on the Deans that I have tried.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I really liked the Yamaha RBX765.. Very nicely setup, very nice tone.. active electronics are great.. thats just IMHO