yamaha or musicman(or cort)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emre03, Mar 21, 2001.

1. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Hi all this is my first post here so I'd like to say hi to you folks first.
    I'm about to buy a bass I have about $1000 but I can'T choose which one(I don't have the opportunity to play them before I buy so I'd like some advice from some bass aplyer dudes.
    My first option is an yamaha trb-5-II for about $1000
    or I can buy a MM stingray-5 for somethi g like $1500(or more coz it will be shiped from U.S and I can't buy it till summer coz the dealers are in a different city) or I can buy a Cort curbow-5 for $500(I know its not very good but I can buy it instantly and man! its cheap)
    So I need your worthy advices.
    Thanx anyway
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass, emre03. Hope you find you like it well enough to stick around.

You have a bass and amp, according to your profile. Sooooo....if I was in your shoes, I'd wait for the MusicMan. Like an American made Fender, people tend to keep their MusicMan. It's a well constructed, versatile, instrument. Even if you choose to sell it later, it will retain much of it's value.

The Yamaha TRB would be my second choice. You may not find that is worth keeping.

The Cort is something I think you will be tossing aside in due time. I don't think their resale is too good either, at least in the US. I don't know about Turkey. Just guessing from the amp you have, I'd wager you'll be getting a new one of those down the road, too. So, it would be nice to not be putting any pressure on yourself about getting another bass at that time, too.

What other makes are commonly found for sale in your country?
  3. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    first of all thanx
    have you tried a yamaha trb--5-II I heard its tone and felt in love with it but I never really tried or heard a MM stingray's tone and I wonder what makes this bass so special and one thing I found in its website is that it had a 34" scale.it can be ok for 4 strings but my bass is 34" too and the b string doesnt sound so good(at least on my bass)
    the makes that are sale in my country?Well let me tell you what I think many of the people in my country doesn't know what bass is and even the musicians ignore the bass inm y country so it really sucks.In my city there's not many basses in the stores(I guess its because they export it from another country or at least istanbul when u order a bass from them) but mainly all crap, real crap:they're all copies of p-bass and they're at best squier(some doesnt have any marks on them!) others are washburn(believe me:they suck) and some yamaha-crap model(trb is very good but others are not so good)
    Thanx for your attention
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You can get others opinions on the MM Stingray besides mine. Just go to the top of this page and click your mouse on the "Search" feature. In "Keywords," enter, "Stingray" and do a search. You will find a thread titled, "Usul likes MM Stingrays." You can read what others have said. They are really well liked at TalkBass.

If you know you love the TRB's tone, I don't see any reason you shouldn't get it. The ones I've seen have good construction. One of my favorite bassists, Tim Bogert, used to use one.

Too bad the bass is not very popular where you live. I imagine it's kind of lonely. Well, at least you have TalkBass and a lot of bands there will need you!
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hehe , I know what You mean man.. Its sadto see only cheap bastards on the stores.
    If I were you... I would pick the MusicMan Stingray 5.
    I was about to buy one of those.

But I did something different. I invested 3/4 of that money in something special.
    A custom Bass. (I dont know why I keep recomending this, I think its part of my excitement about it)

I think you will be surprised.
    Have your mind clear on what you want. And you will have your Dream Bass.

Since you said you would have to buy it from the US, I think you will have no problem buying your new baby from Dave Pushic.

By the way... Dave Pushic is NOT sponsoring me. :D
  6. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    tahnx but I said the dealers order some basses from U.S I mean I'm not brave enough to order something from U.S:)Because nothing shiped from U.S made its way to my hands:)But I think may be I'll go to u:s this summer(L.A),
    the thought of having a custom made bass is sure very good
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Have you considered a Spector NS-5 CR? Musicians friend is selling then starting @ about $999.99. I highly recomend this bass over the 3 you have listed.
  8. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    thanx dude but I`m livin` in Turkey and as you know musician`s friend does shipment inside U.S only.
    Thanx anyway dude but I think I`ll buy a custom made bass from dpbass.com :)
  9. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

I've tried responding a number of times to your emails, but apparently they are not getting thru to you.

I will leave you an email message here on the TalkBass site.. please check your email here...

Dave P.
  10. BassGurl42

Oct 8, 2000
    Muskegon, MI
    A bit late, but I would wait and get the Music Man. They are made really well and they sound awesome.

11. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Go with the Yamaha, you won't be sorry.