Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha P-series power amps vs. PLX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Aug 17, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone tried these?

Here's the 7000 on MF

Seem like they could give the PLX a run for its money! The P5000, for example, sells for $600 and puts out 500wpc into 8ohms, 700wpc into 4ohms, 2600W bridged into 4ohms, and weighs 26lbs. That's only 5lbs more than the PLX!

To get that power from a PLX, you need at least the 2404, which costs $900.

Anyone have experience with these? Reasons why I should go with QSC? From the spec sheet, the only advantages are 4" of depth and 5lbs!

2. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    bump... nobody's tried these?

3. I'm going to be upgrading my old Mackie power amp, and am looking at these very same two choices myself. Both brands have a good reputation for quality and reliability. The trade-off seems to be lighter weight for the PLXs vs. more power and lower prices on the Yamahas. Since the weight doesn't bother me too much, and since it'd be nice to have plenty of power from one channel rather than bridging all the time, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha P7000S.

Since none of the online dealers seems to have them in stock, I'm guessing nobody will be able to give you a hands-on report for another month or so.

Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Peavey 2600...that's the one you want. Why?

Stereo Mode: 4 Ohms: 900 Watts RMS x 2
    Stereo Mode: 8 Ohms: 540 Watts RMS x 2

-Mike

5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, but it weighs 40lbs! :eek:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh, I'm sorry. I did not realize that weight was in issue for you.

BTW...that's 40 pounds of pure kick-you-in-the-teeth power.

That is the head I am getting. 40 pounds is no problem for me.

-Mike

7. Alas, there's no ability to bridge into 4 ohms (both my cabs are 4 ohms), and 900 watts is somwhat less than I'm running now for a single cab.

Mike

8. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    It is tempting, I must admit. But the P7000 puts out more power and has the ability to bridge into 4ohms. It's only $100 more and ~15lbs lighter.

Personally, I'd probably pay the $100 for the lightness and flexibility. They look cool, too :cool:

9. :D Yep, that silver faceplate swayed me.

Mike

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...you guys got me on the 4ohm bridging. That was not an issue for me.

That Yamaha is pretty sweet. If my 2600 deal falls through, I may join you guys. :)

-Mike

11. We do appreciate the suggestion, Mike!

Mike

12. The QSC PLX amps can be had for significantly less then MF offers them at making them on par with Yamaha price/watt.

13. Where?

Mike

14. there used be a guy called Lord Valve that had the best QSC prices . Don't know if he's still around but try a search who knows!

15. Yep, I remember LV, and I'm pretty sure he's still around. I'd always heard his prices were the best, but I don't remember them being 40% or so lower than places like MF. The PLX unit with power equivalent to the P7000S is the PLX3402, and that goes for about $1200 at zzounds, vs. $700 for the Yamaha.

Mike

16. Correction: the Yamaha falls in between the PLX3002 ($1000 and zzounds) and the PLX3402, depending on how you read the specs. The Yamaha is still significantly less expensive, though.

Mike

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Not to knock the Yamaha-I have two CP2000s-but look at all of the specs between the PLX and P series. I think you will find that the PLX is rated full bandwidth at a much lower distortion rate. Signal to noise is probably much lower, as well. Yamaha's 4 ohm bridged rating is listed as 20 milliseconds (how many milliseconds in an eighth note?). They are undoubtably good amplifiers, but their specs read much more like the RMX series (except for their lighter weight) than the PLX series.

Kim

18. Yep, I did catch that, which is why I went back and revised my comparison to include the PLX3002--the full-range outputs for the P7000S were closer to that (about 950w/ch at 4 ohms, the number I'm interested in) than the PLX3402.

Still wish I could pick up one of the PLXs from the QSC red tag site, but I've yet to actually see any in stock...

Mike

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's all Bob Lee's fault for posting that thread regarding the red tag site! :D He should have just told a few select individuals like me and of course, me! ;)

20. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State