1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha PA power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mophead, Dec 2, 2006.

1. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Just curious. Anyone use a Yamaha PA amp to power the bass? Like a P5000S with a preamp of some sort? Can you run them 4 or 2 ohms bridged?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA

I sometimes match my Aggie DB659 w/ my Yamaha P2250 (250 watts/side into 4 ohms, or 500w bridged into 8). The manual cites an 8ohm min. load for running bridged.

It's a nice sounding amp and it's been bullet-proof for me; but at 40+ pounds, it generally makes it to my stage rack only when FOH support is weak. For recording or gigs where the PA is well matched to the venue, I prefer to run the Aggie into board.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I have a P7000S that I got on special at about this time last year and run it with either my own design pre or the trusty old Yamaha PB1. My PB1 is on my bench getting a refresh after 20 years of hard work.

As was said the manual states 8R minimum bridged, but it would probably run 4R bridged OK. I'm just not recommending you do it. Not many amps like 2R bridged as each side of the amp effectively sees half the load, ie 1R. How many amps do you see specced for a 1R load?

I've used Yamaha poweramps in a variety of applications in PA and other duties and found them to sound good, and be very reliable. The older series are a bit heavy, but the P5000S and P7000S are only 12kg.

4. I asked yamaha and they said it is fine to run the P series at 4 ohms bridged, but I think 2ohms bridged is pushing the limits a little too far...