Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Patitucci model - 2 truss rods?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, May 27, 2005.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to adjust a Yamaha Patitucci 6-string bass with 2 truss rods? Should I adjust it normally with equal adjustments, or seperately?

Thanks

2. You adjust it exactly the same on both sides or else your neck twists

I'm a big supporter of diy adjusting, but when it comes to double truss rods, I'd take it to a shop

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As the guy who licks pandas said, both rods need to be adjusted the same, or you will have neck problems.

Moved to Setup.

4. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    I'd say that, as on the majority of string sets the high side has a higher tension than the low side (surprisingly), the way to do it would be to adjust each side to give you the relief you want ON THAT SIDE. On my six I've only got one trussrod, and when I adjust the relief correctly on the bass side, there's too much on the treble side of the neck, and vice versa. If I had two, I would adjust the bass side for perfect relief, and then do the same on the treble side, regardless of the fact that it would take a bit more tension on the trussrod to do this. I should say it would only be a 1/8 to 1/4 turn involved, so nothing drastic, and don't worry about your neck twisting because what you are doing is STOPPING any twisting which is caused by the uneven pull of your string set. Check your relief on both sides of the neck - I'll bet you've got more relief on the treble side because of the harder string-pull. Just get the bass side right, and then adjust up the treble side so it's right too. I have to compromise with mine - a little too much on the treble side, and not quite enough on the bass side

5. embellisher

That is bad advice. If you try and adjust the truss rods to give different relief on each side of the neck, you will wind up with a twisted neck sooner or later.

6. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Who said anything about adjusting for different relief on each side of the neck? If you read my reply you'll see I'm talking about compensating for different string pulls on each side of the neck, ending up with correct relief on both sides.Think about it. Your relief is effectively a gauge showing if yor trussrod and string pull are in balance - if the relief is the same on the high and low sides of the neck, even if it has taken an uneven adjustment on the trussrod, then the pull has been balanced by the trussrod adjustment, AS SHOWN BY THE EQUAL RELIEF. If the strings all pulled the same, then the adjustment on the trussrod would have to be the same to get equal relief, but if the pull is more on one side then you need more adjustment on the trussrod to counteract that pull. As I said in my previous post, you are in fact stopping the neck from twisting, by making it bend equally on both sides. How is that going to twist the neck? Trussrods were invented to stop necks from bending too much, and twin trussrods are used because of the width of sixers, which make a single rod unable to cope with the differing stresses on both sides of the neck. I ask again, how can adjusting the truss rods so the neck is in balance with the pull of the strings on both sides of the neck goint to make anything twist? The pull of the string is stopping the neck from bending back, and the pull of the rod is stopping it from bending forwards, so it's in balance ie no twisting forces. I'm at a loss to know how you'd even know that you'd put exactly equal adjustment on both rods - the only indication you've got is the relief. Read what I said again, and then tell me it's bad advice.

7. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    So you're saying adjust the bass side with the optimal relief, and similarly for the treble side. ie adjust each as necessary and not the same necessarily. The guy asking the question wanted to know whether to adjust with "equal adjustments" or "separately" and I think we've just agreed on "separately," despite Embellisher calling it bad advice

8. embellisher

I misunderstood your post, Mark. I thought that you meant adjusting the neck so that it had more relief on one side than the other.

9. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Fair enough Jeff - as Joshua said it's probably that Internet thing. Plus that Atlantic thing! All the best

10. embellisher

:cool:

11. dac1260

dac1260

Sep 6, 2011
    That is not bad advice at all. Having worked at Y.G.D (Yamaha Guitar Development) as a Master builder and designer, and also having built basses for John Patitucci and set them up myself, I know that Mark is absolutely correct. The neck will not twist, and your action will feel even. The key as Mark said, is balance. Use a .022 feeler gauge if necessary as a starting point, get them both to that amount of relief at the midpoint of the neck. Use a capo at the 1st fret, then fret the last note and check the relief. Then as Mark said, slowly and slightly adjust each one to balance the string tension if less or more relief is required. Depending on the individual neck, and set-up preferences of each individual player the range of adjustment will vary from as little as .010 up to .035 any less will be to the detriment of the set-up (excessive string rattle) any more would indicate a problem with the neck. I.e. a need to level and dress the frets, replace the nut (cut too low), or replace your strings, etc. When setting up an instrument, (action and intonation adjustments) one should always start with new strings. Check the nut slot height as well. This measurement (again, depending on the individual neck) should be around .022 (low side) .016 (high side) this measurement will vary slightly, again depending on the individual neck and set-up preferences.

12. Bossajazz

Bossajazz

Feb 2, 2008
    To dac1260,

I appreciate that this is an ancient thread but I, personally, would be interested to know what John Pattitucci's preferences for neck relief are if they are known.