Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha PB-1 -> ??? -> (4x10+1x18)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldfart420, Apr 12, 2004.

1. oldfart420

oldfart420

Apr 12, 2004
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hi everyone,

I just found this place and it looks like I've got lots of reading to do. I've only been playing guitar for a few years, and just recently started to play bass, a Mexi P-Bass and J-Bass. I'm setting up a small sound reinforcement/music production company with some friends here on Vancouver Island and I'm acquiring toys...er tools to outfit it.

I recently bought a couple of older Mesa Boogie RoadReady cabs to help fill up the studio. I have a 600 watt 4x10 RR cab with unlabeled speakers in it and a 1x18 cab with a 400 watt EV speaker. I'm waiting to hear back from someone about a Yamaha PB-1 preamp I want to purchase. My logic being that the built-in crossover would split the signal to two poweramps to feed the cabs.

My question is: Do I really need to get amps specifically designed to feed bass cabs, or can I use good quality PA gear? Is there a fundemental difference in the way bass amps handle the lower frequencies? My plan is to plug the bass guitar into the PB-1, through a Yamaha GC2020B II compressor, then through a Yamaha Q2031A eq, and finally into a pair of Yamaha P2250 power amps bridged to 500 watts@8 ohms (am I a Yamaha slut, or what?). My other plan was to run the PB-1 into a pair of Yorkville BM400 amps, or a similar pair of affordable power amps.

Since different players will be using the gear, I'd like to get something that can be configured to all sorts of playing styles.

Any info you experts out there can fire my way would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    PA amps are fine and are what is typically used in a preamp/power amp setup, whether it's biamped or not. The only caveat I'd inject here is the same thing that a lot of pro sound guys debate about endlessly - the lighter switching amps versus the heavier traditional power-supplied amps in subwoofer systems. Usually it's the Crown Macro-Tech versus QSC Powerlite (or PLX). Some folks claim they can hear the difference, but I dunno........I've heard from some people who did A/B testing, and while they claimed to hear a definite difference between the Crown and the QSC, they actually prefered the QSC because it sounded "tighter".

3. oldfart420

oldfart420

Apr 12, 2004
    Nanaimo, BC
    Thanks for the info.

The PA amps I'd be using are the older heavier units that have proven themselves as FOH amps at several gigs we've done in Victoria and Vancouver. I'm upgrading my system with 4 - 1x18" subs, 2 more 1x15" speakers, and 4 stage monitors. I plan to buy a pair of 1000watt/channel amps to run the main cabs, thus freeing up the pair of 500watt/bridged mono amps I'm currently using.

I also have a Traynor Beta 800 that I was thinking of using to power the bass rig, but at 250watts@8 ohms per channel, I won't get the most out of the gear, plus I figure it'll work just fine running at 400watts@4 ohms per channel for the stage monitors.

4. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have the Yamaha BP-1 and think it's pretty cool for a bass pre. The Parametric eq is busted and makes noise if cut or boosted. There's a a chouple broken knobs on the back and the rack chasis is ugly, but still functions. Hey, if you turn the three EQ controls all the way down does it cut the signal completely? Mine does, I don't know if it should though.

I used this pre with a number of amps, all sounding about the same: QSC RMX1450, Carvin F600, EV 2.0kW, GK800rb. No one really better than the next (EV was my fav being the lightest and most powerful @ 900wpc @ 4ohms). I use the F600 in stereo (300w @ 4, 200w @ 8) on one cab (eden 210xlt/8ohm, or 410xlt/4ohm) with a line 6 BPP.

pete