Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha PB-1 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I just picked up this preamp used and have a few questions about patching options.

Does anyone know what the output jack is on the front panel? There are output, high, and low jacks on the back and a headphone out on the front. This other jack just says output.

There is also a footswitch jack - any clues what it switches?

Is the xlr out affected by the gain control? Is it pre-EQ?

Is there a way to blend the effects return input with the regular input so I can run straight and affected signals together? I tried to run a guitar with an LRBaggs DI through the return and it cut out my bass signal all together.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a manual. Any help is appreciated.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Funny, I just got ahold of one of these last night. With manual, BTW. On mine, there is a block diagram on the top panel of the unit.

The 1/4" output jack on the front panel is exactly the same as the one on the rear - they're paralleled.

The footswitch switches the effects loop and parametric EQ.

That's all I remember off the top of my head; I'll have to wait til I get home to answer the rest.

Oh BTW, does anyone have a schematic for this pre?

3. I have some scans somewhere from a manual. I believe I got them from Mike Teuscher (Ohiobob). I can't seem to find them though and I'm going on holiday for a week in a couple of hours. After that, I'll try to find them and put them up.

BTW if you locate that schematic, I'd be mighty obliged if you'd send me a scan.....

Cheers Rody

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    OK, now that I'm home with the manual in front of me...

The front and rear Output jacks carry the same exact signal. The HPF and LPF outs are meant for use with a bi-amp setup and separate sub and mid/hi cabs.

I was wrong earlier. The footswitch only controls the parametric EQ.

The XLR is post-everything. It has a separate level control, but it's after the main volume control.

Not that I can tell. If I'm reading this diagram right, whatever you plug into the Return jack is all you get out of the pre. The Return jack comes after the main tone controls, but before the parametric EQ.

Good luck... Yamaha doesn't carry it any more and the 3rd party service guys they sold it to can't find it!

I suppose I could photocopy this manual if you sent me your address.

Coincidentally, I got this PB1 and its manual from OhioBob! I'm still looking for a schematic...

5. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the info. So far I am pleased with this purchase. It seems to have a nice warm, thick sound. Now if I can figure out how it all works. I am coming off of 25 yrs of 100W 1x15 combo amps and trying to put together a good small rack and a couple of cabs. This is the first time my amp has come close to the sound coming out of the mains.

6. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    This is a great preamp! Its low noise and warm tone makes it an excellent value for the price. I also have an Ampeg SVP-Pro which, despite its 5 tubes, doesn't seem much warmer, can't reproduce a clean tone as well and has a significant amount of noise.

Its direct output is also very quiet, making it great for recording.

You don't really need the footswitch unless you plan to switch the parametric eq on and off during performance.

7. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    BPM2000, you're my new hero! Those pages told me everything I needed to know. Thanks a bunch.

It turns out that the XLR out is post-everything...including the parametric EQ. That means my trusty Sansamp Acoustic DI will be sent down to backup status with the electric bass. The preamp is warm enough that I don't need a tube simulation on top of it. I didn't want to pull it out of the signal chain untill I was sure what was happening. We don't always have time to test things before we start up and I missed rehearsal this week.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If anyone has a copy of a manual and/or schematic I'd be very interested in acquiring one!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Like Chucko said, everything is laid out in the diagram on the top of the unit. Pretty handy, probably worth scanning.

Excellent, well designed preamp IMO. I still have mine.

10. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    My 2 cents. Owned that pre for most of the '80s. Ran it through a power amp and Mesa Boogie 4-12. Rocked. If you can find a BB series Yamaha Bass from that early 80's period, buy it! That pre was made for that bass, great combo. I had a green,5 piece neck through BB1200S stolen from me in Atlanta, miss that bass to this day. :(

11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    If you're ever confused about the signal path of the PB-1, a diagram of it should be printed on the top of the chassis. There's one on top of mine, anyway.

12. could the two regular out puts be run into two sides of a power amp and still have enough output to drive both sides to their maximum power without overdriving the pre amp? I want to run 4 ohms per side, and it won't do 2 ohms bridged.. perhaps I could find an easy way to run the cabs in series instead of the parallel they are wired for?

pm me about the answer if you like

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummmm ... I have never experienced a Pre that couldn't drive both sides of a Power amp to full power - well not a rack pre anyway. This particular pre certainly would as it is already able to bi-amp and drive two amps, it should be able to in full range as well.

The load issue (2 ohm vs 4 ohm) is related to your power amp rather than the Yammy Pre. In your case, if the amp isn't stable at 2 - don't run it there or you can experience smoke and also develop a relationship with a speaker reconing firm ...

If your cab's cover the same frequency range then sure, use both outputs to drive both inputs on the amp.

Some amps have a 'parallel mono' mode that allow you to drive both channels using one channel's input. My old Crown CSL did that ... Nice feature as in you case, you wouldn't have that extra cable hanging out the front of your pre - and in any rig - fewer cables is better!

Hope that was helpful - and not too rambling I need more coffee!

14. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Just found one on eBay.

I already have one, but wanted to alert others.

ebay PB-1

Good luck!

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did a search and dug this thread up. I'm considering purchasing one of these, but I have a stupid question about the two outputs:

Are the high and low outputs designed to go into BOTH of the inputs on a power amp?

I know this probably sounds idiotic, but the preamps I've used have always only possessed one 1/4" out. I have a power amp with two inputs and i was wondering if I would plug the two outs from the pre into the two inputs on the single power amp (Carvin FET1000).

Thanks in advance!

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    HPF= high part frequency
    LPF= low part frequency

it's for bi-amping and works in conjunction with the crossover on the front panel.

Those ARE great little units. Best bang for buck out there.

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Is the effects loop adjustable on that unit?

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Send and return levels are adjustable, but there is no "blend" for wet/dry.

19. I also have a PB-1 and have been trying to figure out what is closest to being a flat EQ setting.

5-5-5 (Treble-Middle-Bass) is a logical place to start. However, the owner's manual not only doesn't state what the flat or starter settings are, it shows response curves that indicate bass and treble boost when all three controls are at maximum (10).

They would seem to indicate that something like 2-8-3 might be closer to flat than 5-5-5, or maybe 2-5-3..

Do any of you PB-1 owners know what something resembling a flat setting is?