Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha PB-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Jan 5, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone tell me how this thing sounds? I found this cheap pre-amp online so I'm betting it's too cheap to be good...? Can someone tell me otherwise?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's a nice unit. I had one for about a year. Too long ago to compare it something now but it was well made, quiet and sounded good.
    I usually see them go for about a hundred and they're well worth it

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The PB-1 was one of the better thought out preamps in it's day. It's still useful, especially if you intend to biamp, it has variable low and hi pass filters. I still have one... that I don't use. It's a quality piece IMO.

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I don't doubt that it's a good piece of equipment for its PRICE, but how does it compare to higher-end preamps like the Alembic, Ampeg SVP, or SWR Grand Prix or Interstellar Overdrive? Of course it doesn't have tubes, but does it have its own "character" that can be compared to any amps by any other manufacturer? Does it sound any better than "direct box" style preamps like the Sansamp and Aguilar DB 924?

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I sold my PB-1 pre amp for $100 and still miss that thing. I beleive for the money you can't get a better buy. If you want to spend more fine I play a $3000.00 Eden rig now as oppossed to the $1000.00 rig I had before. Does it sound better?
    Yes IMO, but 5% better 15% better depends on what you are putting in also. For the money you can't go wrong if you need a pre-amp, I would also put a sonic maximizer (BBE) in line for some life to your sound. good luck

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine strikes me as being pretty transparent. It's well built and has more useful features than most current preamps. In addition to the low pass/high pass filters it has a full parametric switchable EQ band (sweepable from 50-2500hz with Q filter), headphones out, individually adjustable (!)[/] Send , Return and Balanced out with ground switch and 1/4" and XLR outs. Even has a front panel power switch.

If I were using seperates today would I use mine in lieu of a Sansamp or DB 924? ABSOLUTELY.

Would I use it in lieu of a Demeter or Alembic F-1X or Aguilar, etc.? Yes. I do like them but there's nothing not to like about my Yamaha.

How does it sound? It sounds like your bass. Whatever I plugged in sounded like it sounded, not harsher, the highs are smooth, the sound is full. If there's a problem with your sound, chances are it's not the PB-1:D... it's whatever amp you're using, your speakers, your bass... or you.

It's more than good for the price, it's a very nice piece of gear that does not command a high price