Yamaha power amps experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8_finger, May 14, 2003.

1. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I am in proces of selecting a power amp and I haven't found much comments regarding Yamaha power amps. Is anybody using these? How they sound, reliability,etc. Any info is welcome.
    I am specially interested in P3200 & P4500 and CP2000 models.
  2. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Although mine is 16 years old, my Yamaha P2250 power amp has never had a problem and it's been gigged heavily.

Other than the weight, it's hard to go wrong with pro Yamaha stuff.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    We have a P2350 in the studio...it's ancient and has never let us down. More recently I bought a pair of the CP2000s. They don't have a lot of the bells and whistles of other amps, but they are simple, powerful, reliable and cheap. I haven't bridged mine, and have no need to. Their 4ohm bridge/2 ohm stereo ratings are suspect, to put it nicely. I don't doubt the 650 watts into 4 ohms stereo or 450 watts into 8 ohms stereo. They sound great: clean, crisp, powerful and tight. I opened one up and found simple, robust 1980s design. For $409 new, who can bitch?

4. For everybody in Europe I can recommend the CP2000 because it's the cheapest poweramp available over here, next to that new Behringer stuff (which still has to proove its reliability).

Dec 28, 2002
    yamaha rocks if they made a bass head id be on it..
    i played threw two yamaha powered monitors 80watts ea 8in speakers they are SO loud acctully quite amassing.crystal clear.... low end threw 8 "speakers i didnt think was possible ...shook the house ,really..this was with a LOUD drummer and a guitarist and i wasnt even clossly faint...i bow down to yamaha
    thats as far as my experience goes with yamaha amps
    my 92 FZR 600 kicks some ass though!!!!!!!!!!!
    so did my first bike when i was 8 my 73 yamaha 80 hehe
    ohh in 6th grade i plyed a yamaha sax **** i was 2nd chair out of 9 kids i never practiced LOL..but i was the only one that could keep time lol
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I played in a band that put thousands of miles and gigs on Yamaha mixers and amps in the 80's and it always did great and sounded as good as anyone else's setup. Many times better.

As for their service, I still have a PD2500, which was Yamaha's entry into the more compact, high-output amps (like the Crown MT1200). Their design had some issues...they've rebuilt mine 3 times at no charge, years after the warranty expired. The last time did the trick about 10 yrs ago and it's been fine since.
  7. I've never owned any but, I've never heard anybody complain about them either. I've heard a lot of good things though..
  8. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    by Washburnguy

Yamaha does make a bass head. It is the SR400B.
    It puts out 400 watts into 4 ohms. It retails for
    about $1300.00

It is a decent amp.