1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha Problem :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ecko, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ecko

Ecko

Oct 19, 2008
    UK
    Hey guys, this problem is really bugging me, after cleaning my bass with my fender guitar cleaner kit that came today the tone of my bass (Yamaha BB414) just changed to a dull low sound, best way to describe it is it sounds like when your ears have not poped, wheres im use to playing with a bright zangy tone, the bright tone is still there but its now low muddy and deep (I play with pick). The strings are not over a month old so i know its not them, what could it be? any help would be great. :)

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Did you take anything apart when cleaning your bass? If not and it was a basic wipedown and polish, my first thought is that maybe you got just enough of the polish or other cleaner on the strings to deaden them a bit.

3. Ecko

Ecko

Oct 19, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for the reply :), Yeah, I think thats when it chaged after i wiped down the strings, so are they going to stay dead or will the tone just eventually return to normal?

4. Ecko

Ecko

Oct 19, 2008
    UK
    any one? :(

5. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    My guess is that you've killed your strings. Just a guess, could be anything.

How does it sound acoustically compared to before? When you play it, and when you tap on it. Noticeably different?

There's also a possibility that you've bumped and/or damaged a tone knob. I hope it's just strings though! I don't think they'll get un-dead.

6. Whatever you wiped the strings down with might have had oil on it which could definitely deaden them.

7. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    When I was young, I wiped down a brand new set of strings with WD-40 and anihilated them instantly. Now, I never wipe them with anything other than a towel...if that.

8. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    boil your strings, man.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    DON'T boil.

If you want to clean your strings, do it by soaking them in denatured alcohol instead. Boiling isn't good for strings and the alcohol works better anyway.

10. Ecko

Ecko

Oct 19, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for the reply guys, Ive ordered some new strings which should be here by Tuesday latest :) I never wiped near the tone knobs so i know its not them playing up thank god lol.