Yamaha Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carho, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Hi, I'm looking into buying my first bass and it seems a lot of you recommend the Yamaha RBX-170
    however after looking at some pictures of it I noticed it doesn't have a pick guard. I want to play with both a pick and fingers but im curious if the fact that it doesn't have a pick guard will be problematic.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and great forum btw :)
  2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Not having a pick guard wont matter... as long as youre not a sloppy picker. Imo pickguards are more an issue of style than useability.
  3. Yeah, I have the RBX 370, and I play exclusively with a pick.:eek: . So far I have no problems whatever, and as said above, if you have a good pick style then it won't be a problemo. Happy playing!
  4. Sounds good, thanks for your help :)

Also i was looking at the RBX-170 and 270 but i can't see a difference in the two aside from the price and a few more colors to choose from, can anyone tell me what the difference is?
  5. The difference between the 170 and the 270 is the body of the 170 is agathis, whereas the body of the 270 is alder. So better material for the body. Also note the difference of the pick-ups, the 170 has dots on the pickups, whereas the 270 hasn't.

I reckon if you can stretch to it, the 370 is a wonderful buy...comes with active electronics, and the 370 allows more tone shaping because of the different controls. I found on the internet the 370 for £20 extra than the 270 in high-street stores. And I have heard good things about the build quality of Yamaha.

Ok I know I like 'em...don't hold it against me! :)

Hope this helps.

Actaully on a kinda related tip :rolleyes: , does anyone know where I could get hold of a fretless neck for my RBX 370? Cheers.
  6. It's VERY helpful actually, what's the difference between active and passive?
  7. Active usually means you can shape your tone more to the way you like it...for example I had an Ibanez that was passive, and I couldnt really get the tone I wanted out of it, from the Yamaha I have got the tone I want and I havent even changed any parts on it!

Come on experienced TB'ers, help me out here....
  8. hehe, you seem to be doing fine :)

Thanks for all your help zebraface its very much appreciated. Looks like i might be raising my budget a bit and getting the 370.
  9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Active basses have a built in preamp that is battery powered. It allows you to boost or cut bass, treble, and or mids from your bass. On passive basses the tone knob only cuts treble. You need to try both to see which you prefer. I have an old BB200 that was a great find. One caution, on inexpensive basses, active preamps ususally is the area where they cut costs.
  10. Hmm i thought the two tone knobs on the 170 would be one for bass and one for treble, guess i was wrong. What are the knobs for then?
  11. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    One volume, one tone for each pickup.
  12. Well that makes sense, Thanks a lot :)
  13. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666