Yamaha RBX 250 or Essex BG-80

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neublar, Dec 30, 2002.

Which would you get?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2003.
  1. Yamaha RBX 250 (Used, but good condition)

4 vote(s)
  2. Essex BG-80 (Brand New)

2 vote(s)
  3. I wish these FNG's would just buy something and leave me alone :-)

1 vote(s)
  1. Neublar

Dec 9, 2002
    Ok I've narrowed it down. I have decided to either get a used Yamaha RBX 250 in good condition or a brand new Essex BG-80. Thanks for your input:)
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much is the used Yamaha? I love my BG-80.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I prefer new if I can get it. Did you try both? If so, which one did you like better (be honest :) )?

4. Neublar

Dec 9, 2002
    I went ahead and got the Yamaha. I've held a yamaha like the one I'm getting and liked it. Don't know much about the sound, sounded OK to me. I liked the looks of the Essex, but I'd never held one. So I decided to go with the first(it was cheaper). I figure this one will be good to learn on. I can always go up! Thanks guys. :D
  5. Neublar

Dec 9, 2002
    Oh yeah. Here's a picture of it.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cool. Yamaha makes good gear & if you got it for less than a Essex (which are really inexpensive) then you did real good!!!!!
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I once owned a bass with the output jack coming straight off the front through the thin wood in the control cavity before. I will never own one again. Maybe not the first time, but eventually you WILL step on your cord by accident and that part of the front of your bass gets ripped out. There's no easy fix either, except putting in a strat-style large chrome angle piece. Horrible design IMO. It's a lot easier to replace a pickguard than fix that nightmare.

So for practical reasons I'd buy the Essex. The Yamaha's probably a "better" bass, but I don't really know.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had a Yamaha similar to that one years ago. It is a nice bass. I think you will be happy with it.

Be low, have fun.