Yamaha RBX 370a

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damo2576, Aug 11, 2004.

1. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004

Done a search and doesnt seem to be much info on the Yamaha RBX 370a.

Thinking about buying one and would like to hear from any one with any experience of one....

I'm a total beginner - been learning on a borrowed encore...

What I'm after is something thats going to be easy to play and learn on and not hold me back in anyway. Or give me the chance to make excuses like the encore does :scowl:

Thanks in advance,

2. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    go to www.rondomusic.com. they have good basses with quality built and feel comparable with the big brands. anyway, i feel the rbx370 is crap. ppl buy it because it has the brand name and it is active. i would rather recommend yamaha bb404 , bb604 to anyone.
  3. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    ...what about the RBX 374? Thats got humbuckers
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    There are many companies that make solid basses for people starting out. A lot of folks dig Ibanez's SRX and GSR lines. ESP's beginner basses are said to be high quality as well. I believe ESP's F104 even has a 35" scale for those broke metalheads who want the extra scale length to downtune. Even boutique marques like Spector and G&L have budget lines with their Performer and Tribute series respectively.

If I were you, I'd go to a music store and try out a bunch of basses, new and used. Also try out some beyond your price range so you have a feel of what a more expensive (more likely higher quality) axe feels like. If a cheaper axe reminds you of the more expensive one, you struck gold.

However, if a more expensive axe than you can afford is what really creams your twinkie, wait and save up. It's better to have a bass you really love and lust for than one you only sorta like. You'll be more motivated to play a bass you love/lust than one you only sorta like.

This summer I was looking to spend about $600- $700 for a 6-string, but found an awesome Samick Fairlane 6 for only $300. I can't get enough of that bass, it felt better to me than others 2-3 times more, and I was left with enough money to buy a new amp and some effects.
  5. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    thanks, i have been to a shop and tried out a few, well a fender p bass and the yamaha at least.

i was drawn to the yamaha as it just felt 'nice' like it fitted or something.

i'll check out the ranges you suggest, what i'm after is something with a big phat sound, kind of warm but also versatile. does that have any bearing on what bass you may suggest?

at the moment i'm playing an encore which is just tiring me out, the strings are about 7-8mm from the frets in places and its not worth the cash to get set up properly.

have to go, my fingers are numb from playing it and i cant type!

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey also makes some excellent basses, give them a try.

7. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Oh, definitely. I can't believe I forgot about Peaveys. The Peavey Fury is a nice instrument. I've only tried the 6-string, though. And the Peavey Grind's imbuya wood body wings are supposed to give it a really warm fat tone. Of course some Grinds are better than others, but in general do feel nice and neck-through at that price is astounding.
  8. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    I checked out the Peaveys, nice but I'm more drawn to the Yamaha

Its the RBX 374 - its a new model, active, with humbuckers.

I cant find any reviews etc on the web. Does anyone have any experience of it?

I liked it but I'm not sure how much emphasis I should put on that as I've only been playing a week so it could have been crap for all I know. The guys in the shop said it was good.

Would like to hear from some of you if you know it!

9. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001

So buy it! Yamahas are great, excellent value for money. I've got two myself.
  10. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    hi, I have the rbx370a.. and its a great bass!, the only thing i dont like is the pickups, but if you change the pickups its a great bass...
  11. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I started on a Yamaha bass. I'd recommend it to you. It is very well built, sounds great, and in my experience hasn't needed any servicing at all.

If you feel that you are comfortable on it then go ahead and buy it.
  12. damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    good advice, thanks

its definately the best bass i can find at that price in terms of features, its active and has humbucking pickups.

will check out some more before my final plunge!

13. Caravan

May 5, 2004
    Hello mate!

I was a few weeks ago in the same dilemma you are right now, had 3 months playing bass and taking lessons on a borrowed Biscayne (kind of cheap fender copy) but wanted to finally own my first bass.

I did try a few, I liked Yamahas more than anything else, and bought a brand new RBX 374 two weeks ago, got the silver one.

I’m afraid not an expert in basses yet, since I used to play violin before, but my teacher who has plenty of experience liked it a lot, said that the sound is great and is an excellent value for the money.

Just in case you haven’t tried one yet I can offer you detailed pictures of mine and measures of the with and thickness of the neck if you want, have a vernier, just tell me where to measure.

I would say go for it! I’m very happy with mine! To me looks very solid, and well built, the action is low which is good because make it very playable. :bassist:

Caravan :D