Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha rbx 374/375 vs. 774/775

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mochafrap, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mochafrap

mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    Hi folks-fairly new to the forum. I am a proud owner of a rbx 374 purchased summer of 2004 and very pleased with it. I've generally heard good things about the rbx 774/775 series that have been discontinued. Has anybody here actually had a chance to compare 374 vs. 774 etc.. side by side and if so would it be worth it to drop a few bucks on a used 774/775 on ebay? Your thoughts...

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I haven't had the change to play the 374/5 series, but I'm going to repost what I wrote in this thead:

"I love, and I mean love the Yamaha's I've played and recorded with, most recently my dual RBX 775's, but in a comparison I'll paraphrase what I said here:

Off the top of my head, the 775's have additional carving on the body along the "bottom" (when strapped on) which I'm sure were removed from the 375's to reduce CNC time and cost. IMO, the 375's look cheaper due to this. 775's have a monorail-type bridge vs. the more standard on the 375's, which I think again is to lower cost by sacrificing quality. I personally prefer the 35" scale, but that's my choice and playing style, and I can see your disagreement. The electronics are certainly different - I haven't had a chance to play a 375 so I can't comment on that other to say it looks to be more normal than the 775's odd "pickup selector/tone/mid-boost" configuration. The color selection did (and still does) have much to be desired on both series, but the flat silver is pretty sweet, and the flat blue looks much better in person than it was ever photographed. I will say that I envy the metallic red of the 375 (and was originally going to be offered on the 775 according to the original press releases - I wonder what happened on that regard?)

Based on the above and the fact that I bought two 775's within 2 weeks, I'd have to disagree. I think the 775 was a sleeper and a casualty of one of the tightest markets to sell in - the "$999 list" area. With it's street price about 1/2 of the 775 before the "discontinued blowout", the 375 appears to be a lower-tier version and while a good bass for the price, hardly "offers much more" and is deserving of it's own series.

Between the discontinuation of the 775's and the screw-up of the new RBXJM2, it seems that Yamaha simply doesn't know how to market their "rock line" as opposed to the BB/TRB's, which both sell a tremendous amount and generate positive word-of-mouth (which you can't buy) regardless of pricepoint, be it a BB404 or 2005."

...but to somewhat answer to your question, even not having played the 374/5's I'd try to buy a NOS or barely used 774/5 based on the body contouring, scale length, hardware, pickups and electronics, and other factors I mentioned above. Simply put, the list price was higher, they're not going for much on eBay, and therefore your "bang for the buck" factor is higher.

3. mochafrap

mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks- appreciate the reply. I'm flip flopping on getting one these dirt cheap 775's on ebay which seem to be popping up regularly. You're right in that the 35" scale would probably more effective for the low B and based on what I've read in the UK bass publication-low B is a little lacking on the 375...but...on the other hand most "and I do mean-most, not all" seem to be happy with their 375's. Ever since I bought the 374 on a whim, it has just been one fantastic bass! I've become somewhat of an rbx afficianado. Cheers!

4. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Up to what I know, the RBX774/775 are superior in many ways to the RBX374/375. The RBX774/775 were discontinued because they never really started selling until their price dropped to $300-$400, in which it then became a huge succes. Still, because of the giant price drop (I think it's retail price was around $800), no one was making money from them. Thus, newer models were made, which aren't as good, but are around the price range in which the older models started selling.

I know, it made no sense...

- Radio

5. mochafrap

mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks radio...

I once called the Yamaha rep a while back and I asked him why they discontinued the 774/775 series and I can just tell over the phone he was just shaking his head too saying it seems like a good product they discontinued and you're right...he told me the same thing that the 374/375 was something more akin to the price range the people were willing to pay for that product. It's too bad. Cheers!

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I currently play a Yamaha RBX 765A 5 string with active electronics. I agree with the other TB'ers that this is a fine axe to have, but it's pricey. I bought mine used (but mint), and it still cost me close to 5 bills. It's sweet, though, and I think it's comparable to the 775's.

Even though I've had mine for 4 years, I still get offers to purchase...pretty close to what I padi, too!