Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX 6JM needs bridge saddle!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sneaky pete, Dec 30, 2004.

1. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    I bought a Yamaha John Myung bass a week ago and it is missing a saddle and saddle screw. I knew this going into the deal, but Yamaha wants $45 for the part alone and the whole bridge run 145 list. Since no one around here is a Yamaha bass dealer I can't just buy the part except from GC who has to charge list price.

I'm not oppose to changing out the bridge entirely either. I'd like something that goes thru the body but the bass is 35" scall and I don't want to limit the kind of strings I use because most would be too short. Any suggestions out there?

pete

2. ask around at the local shops, see if they have a saddle that matches. what i had to do to fix a tuner since the washer broke, it was cheaper to fix the tuner than buy a new one. Who knows a luthier in your area might have a matching saddle sitting around

3. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    Unfortunately GC's have run the local mom & pops out of business. Finding parts for it will be tough. I'm thinking about replacing the bridge entirely with a Carvin bridge since the strings can go thru the back. To me there is a huge improvement in doing this sound wise. After it's said and done though it'll be 100 bucks :(

p

4. so you'd prefer string through the body? or so it can be top loaded?

5. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    I really like string thru the body bridges. My other 2 basses use that and it really does make a big difference. I bought my wife a Godin Freeway 5 and it also has the strings thru the body, it does make a difference.

It looks like Carvin had hipshot buikd them a bridge for thier basses with the option. They sell deep string ferrules to compensate for the extra depth of the body the string must go thru. Yeah I'd prefer the carvin bridge but since I'm only missing ONE saddle I hate to drop 80 bucks to solve a $10 problem...

pete

top loaded is ok but if I'm going to spend the money (over 50 bucks) then why not go thru the body. BTW the spacing is 3.25" B to C

6. I love the String Saver Saddles. Usually around $30 for a full set of saddles. I don't notice much (if any) difference in sound, but I don't have tuning or string breakage problems like before I switched saddles.

I'd find out what saddles by contacting the guys at:

http://www.graphtech.com/

Then ordering them from like Stewart MacDonald or someplace where they're cheaper.

7. well you also have to think abou the cost of doing such a project. your going to have to take your bass to a luthier to drill the holes for the string ferrules and install the bridge. then your going to have to buy a set of extra long strings to fit it. and the bridge, and the ferrules. it may in the end just be cheaper to buy the origional bridge and install it.

8. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    I do all my own set up work. I built the two basses I play on now. I noticed on the carvni site they use extra long ferrules to put the ball end of the strin about an inch into the body so regular strings can be used with the 35" scale basses and have the strings thru the back. I'll prolly just call yamaha direct and see what they can do about getting me a part. It really is too time consuming.

p