Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAMAHA RBX-6JM or CARVIN LB6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 10, 2002.

1. YAMAHA

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. CARVIN

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. I don't own a 6 string and I'm shopping around for a used one. I've run acrossed these 2 at between 500-600. (asking) Which one do you think is the better instrument to start with?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I guess I'll plead the 5th on this one...
    Or should I insert some subliminal comments?

3. These basses should not be compared to one another. The Carvin is way better. If the Yamaha was a choice because of its price, than you should check out Cort Curbow basses. The Cort is cheaper than both and is much better than the Yamaha.

But YMMV of course...

4. RBX SERIES IS HORRIBLE, AS A PRAISER FOR YAMAHA I MUST SAY THEY ARE THE WORST OF THE YAMAHAS.

5. Who sells Cort on the Web?

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Mars Music

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    doh!

<i>

On September 27, 2002 Mars Music filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Mars Music has removed the web site indefinitely! We suggest that you try one of the two sites listed below for your mucial instrument needs.
    </i>

8. I'd also throw an Ibanex BTB406QM into the mix. I got mine for £499. I spent another £100 having t set up properly, a graphite nut fitted and the control cavity full shielded with copper foil and it's great now. A lot of people complain about the pickup and noise, but just a little bit of work solved that. It's a decent sounding bass for the money and looks nice too.

9. I just finished ordering a Cort Curbow 6 from ChrisGuitars.com $474.00 shipped with gig bag.
    Thanks

10. Cool, hope you like it. What color did you get?

11. BLUE: Can't wait should be here next Wed.

12. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I like the RBX series. I have the cheapest RBX model (Rbx260) and I don't have any problems with the sound especially for the price.

I've heard great reviews from different people that play on the John Myung Bass.It depends on what style of music you play also and what type of sound you want.

I personally do not like the Cort Curbow, but I do like the Ibanez BTB series.

I also like Carvins, but I was playing Tejano, jazz, and blues on it.So, I never got to play the style I usually play which is Hard Rock/Progressive (fingers).Plus the Carvin did not Belong to me, but it was a very nice Bass for those other styles.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Please explain how........

14. they just dont sound good to me, in that price range, the carvin is the bang for the buck

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Yamaha JM has very narrow string spacing, narrower than my Ibanez Soundgear 6. It also has a chunky neck, and is one of the heavier budget basses that I have played. The sound is rather thin and bland, IMHO.

The Carvin is better tonally, and has wider string spacing, a thinner neck profile, and weighs less.

IMHO, the Carvin is a clear winner. But, if you prefer chunkier necks, narrower spacing and heavier bodies, the Yamaha might be right for you. But make sure that you play one first, to see if you can live with the sound of the stock electronics. Because if you need to add $350 worth of electronics to get a decent sound, you would be better off with an Ibanez BTB1006e or a Peavey Cirrus 6. Great tone with no upgrades necessary.

16. Definitely voting for the Carvin. And if you have the means to order a new one , check out the XB76 (35.25 scale) - It's a killer !