Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX 775 vs. Lakland 55-02 vs. KSD Js

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This week I finally got to check out a couple of Lakland Skylines and 60s KSD down in Nashville. I was really impressed with all three basses. I really dug a Lakland Duck Dunn P-bass, but that's another story.

My problem is that although the Lakland and KSD are both priced reasonably around $700 or so, the Yammy RBX 775 is still available at $299. The Yammy is not active, but I have a world of faith in Yamaha since I currently own one and have had several others, and I know the RBX has a 35" scale.

Can anyone compare the RBX soundwise to either the Laklands or the KSD? I know they won't sound the same, I want to know if the Yamaha has a good sound and if it is versatile. Let me know because I want to make a move around May 1.

2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    in my humble opinion, if you are happy with all three of them and just cant decide, you could definitely buy the RBX. And if one day you decide that the Lakland is better for you, you'd just do that. That's my kind of logic.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess, I should make myself more clear. I haven't heard the RBX775 although I'm sure it's well made. I have heard the KSD and Skyline models and I know they sound great. I would also prefer the KSDs or Lakland Skylines if sound and looks were the sole criteria. The Yamaha comes into the picture solely because I always need to think about money for my family and other expenses. I mean if it sounds good, I might just bite the bullet and get one even though the other basses are the one really giving me intestine busting GAS. :bawl:

4. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    well, here is one for you. How about telling your price range and sound you are after? I'm sure lots of people here would burst you with precious advices. Oh and one more thing. You should play the yamaha.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My price range is roughly $800 or less, preferably $700 or less. I could pay a bit more, say $150 for a really great bass. In other words, the KSD and 55-01 are definitely in my proce range, the 55-02 is more of a stretch. As for the sound I like, I like a well defined sound with clarity and a good high end but also a solid bottom. I definitely like a bass that has a good slap sound. It also should sound good with a pick for the very occasional time I use one one. I don't want a bass that sounds really muddy when I turn down the treble. I suppose I prefer a tone leaning more to high-fi than pure vintage.

6. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    in that case if that lakland is 55-02 you are probably getting a really good deal, and you could have it. everyone oohs and aahs about its versatility though I never played one myself.

And immediately G&L's come to my mind. They are good at versatility. May not be very hi-fi though. You could listen to samples on glguitars website. And especially used they come in great value. If you are thinking on new you could go for tribute models. L-2500

Speaking of yamahas, there is one on e-bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3716500716&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    a trb6II. They have a hi-fi sound to them. Though if you find one with piezo they would give you something more in versatility department.

hope this helps a little. but most of the time this helps the indecisiveness. :)

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Okay, here it goes. I own a Skyline 55-01 and a Yamaha RBX-775. Lets just say that you are comparing apples and oranges. The basses sound totally diffrent from each other. IMO the 55-01 has more rounded all purpose sound. The RBX-775 is what I would call a pure rock bass; it's very bright and it sounds awsome with a pick, and really responds to slap and pop.

That being said, I really love both basses. In both cases you are getting a lot of bang for the bucks. The RBX is more reasonably priced though. The construction is outstanding in both cases, and both instruments are eminently playable. I set up both of mine when I received them and they required a minimum amount of adjustment. The RBX does have some kind of active electronics (albeit minimal), at least mine take a nine volt. In either case, you can't go wrong! :p

8. where in Nashville did you play the Lakland and KSD?
    i'm looking for a shop to try em out side by side before making my decision on which to buy...thanks!

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bass Man 86, thanks alot for the info! I was hoping that someone who had experience with both would answer. You make the Yamaha sound pretty good although a bass that sounds good with the treble down low as well as all out is the ideal instrument for me. Learning to Walk, I triend out out the KSD and the Lakland out at Rockblock Guitars. Now don't go and buy my axe out from under me! That happened the last time I told someone about a store! :D

10. no, either one I get...i'll probly get used unless I can finance one...right now i'm REALLY gas'in for the KSD but i've been told to try out the 55-02 before i make a decision...so I'm really just wanting to try em side by side...

did they have the 70's model 5 string (natural color w/ maple) KSD there?

thanks a lot...

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No they only had a 60s model KSD when I was there. :(

12. well maybe Corner still has one...I'll call em later this week.

Dr.Cheese....who do you play with in Nashville?

my jam band mostly plays Knoxville
    my Christian band has played RocketTown a few times

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I never played with anyone in Nashville. I used to play for a Murray State gospel choir when I worked there in the 90's and I used to go to Nashville all the time. I came close to blowing all of my money on basses while I lived close to that city. :eek:

14. ha ha ha yah...i live an hour away and I love going to Rock Block and Corner to mess around with the stuff that they have in...I like Corner because they "leave you alone" in there...no hastles,no annoying salesman...just a quality shop.