Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_man86, Mar 16, 2004.

1. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Hey Guys,
    I have not made my presence felt in a while, but I wanted to see if anyone else had tried a Yamaha RBX775. As a happily married father of two I cannot afford these boutique instruments so, I am always looking for a bargain. I just purchased a Yamaha RBX 775 as a closeout sale item and boy was I plesantly surprised. I originally became interested in this bass because in a issue of Bass Player, its four string cousin, the RBX 774 had been given some very high marks. I have to say that the Kudos from the reviewers from Bass Player were certainly deserved; the bass plays extremely well and has tone to spare, and at $332 shipped, I felt like a shoplifter. True, it's not made in Japan, but no complaints. Anyway, give me some feedback. ;)
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Replace "happily married father of two" with "happily engaged with combined massive student load debt", and I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had played one a while back, was impressed, but not sure it was worth the money then (and also was concerned with my ability to adapt to the 35" scale, something a Spector Rebop5 cured me of a few weeks back). At these closeout prices, however, I couldn't pass one up.

With any luck, the big brown truck should arrive tomorrow. :D And if you feel like a shoplifter, I feel like I committed armed robbery. Let's just say pricematching + free shipping + an additional 5% discount for ASCAP members = the ability to convince the fiancée.

As for MIJ status, I've read some places that it's Korean, and in other's (such as the BP shootout) that it's indeed Japanese-made. I'll shoot Yamaha an email and ask for confirmation.
  3. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    They are made in Taiwan, I played the 774 and didn't like it but anyways, it's pretty cheap.
  4. Yeh, replace with "unhappily married father of 1...."

A general comment....

I like Yamahas (but haven't tried that one. Honestly believe they give great bass for the bucks although are not at the boutique end.

As a brand, they're hard to beat on value for money.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The 16 hour postscript

If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be "articulate". I'm now in total belief that the 35" scale is a godsend for note definition on the lower strings - the B-to-D range was always blurry on my Fender, and even the Ibanez six-string has issues there. I think from now on scale length will be a deciding factor on the basses I play for *my* sound (i.e. not a session that requires a certain sound such as the classic Jazz/Precision)

If there's a downside to that, the articulation also comes across as brightness, which I'm not used to from my other basses. I'll see how the strings mellow (although I'm digging the Yamaha-branded it came with) and make adjustments on that end when I have more experience with the tonality.

For most bassists it would be very strange to have a pickup selector switch as opposed to a pan pot, but as I rarely strayed from a 50/50 balance this doesn't bother me as it would others. Turning the tone down tames some of the high-end and fret noise, and the mid-boost switch is nice to bring you out in the mix. Think of it as a nice "presence" switch.

I totally dig the "Flat Silver" finish, but I can understand that some would be wary about scratches and damage. I'm fairly cautious with my basses, so we'll see. The neck is a thing of beauty - painted black on the back, but with a satin finish that doesn't impede position changes. The width @ the nut is a hair smaller than my J5, and a hair wider at bridge (19mm string spacing as opposed to 17.5mm). This will take a bit of adaptation, but is worth it in the long run - I've noticed most multistring basses have 19mm spacing these days, and it'll allow me greater flexibility in playing.

To summarize, I'm amazed at how far mid-range basses have come in the past few years. I wouldn't hesitate to use this for gigging or a rock session, and I'm not kidding when I say I'd love a second for a fretless. If there are still some on clearance in a few months, I'm grabbin' one.
  6. anextday

Aug 8, 2013
    hey Guys
    just wanted to know if the yamaha rbx 775 is still available??? let me know please....:)
  7. Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    The 775 is not in production and hasn't been for a few years. But they're still young enough to probably be found without too much effort on the Bay or some older music shops.