Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX-800A - need info quick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parrott, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Hanging about shops in town today, I spotted the following bass for £300;

A Yamaha RBX-800A, active pickups (one P, one J style), dead straight neck, original tuners & nut, original bridge that looks fine (no corrosion or anything), and it plays very well too.
    It's white, and it's looks very 80's, and aside from a few wee dents in the finish (no chips even) it looks nearly perfect.

I can't find any info anywhere on it, and I can't find any others on the net - does anybody have any info or anything on it?
    And should I go and buy it - it's only £300 (about $400??), and i'm wondering if it should be worth more or something?

2. I like Yamahas.

I don't know anything about that specific RBX model, but I'm guessing it might be similar to this one, the RBX760A

[​IMG]

If it is, then it might be one step higher, and in that case, a very nice bass, and worth every cent of that $400. It probably sells for more. The RBX 760 in the picture sells for around $500.

3. THAT'S MY KINDA BASS!! BUY IT...seriously...
    I'll give you my personal guarantee that you'll love it...(but if you don't, don't send me the bill)...

4. mm_bassman

mm_bassman

Mar 25, 2006
    I've got a rbx-800a. I didn't directly love it, but sure they are diffrent all of them. I'm trying to sell it for an expensive price but it isn't directly going well. I'm selling it for 500€ (around $500). I've just bought a Fender Highway 1 Jass Bass and I really recomend it. It's an american jazz bass with good quality and amazing sound and I love it. The price of that bass is around $600-700 and a gigbag is including. ;)

5. marc_l

marc_l

Jun 27, 2006
    Needed info quick... sorry it took me 4 years to find your question...:rolleyes:

I have the user manual from Yamaha on the RBX series containing the RBX-800a... If someone is interrested let me know... It's a 1.5M file so I cannot post it on this site...

I just got an 800a, got it dirt cheap for 260.00 $CAN with hard case and a few accessories... The thing was quite dusty and needed new strings and a bit of fine tuning... Just finished the job now and the thing sounds fantastic... I cannot wait for my next jam session to try it out!

6. I'm years late on this, but I have an 800A I played for about 10 years. It was great. Dead straight neck I don't recall ever adjusting. It hangs on my wall retired now showing off it's glorious 80's headstock. I play it once in a while and wonder why I don't play it all the time. It feels great. But that 80's headstock kills me now days. I had some issues with the electronics early on and yanked them and put passive EMG's in it. Which brings up another question... anyone know if I can put the origial pickups back in without electronics (I'm not to bright with the electronics questions) Just wondering. I found them a while back and wondered if they would work sans circut board. HMMMM curious.

Bigwan likes this.
  7. alondo1234

alondo1234

Aug 12, 2010
    Hi

I have 1 of these bass's and would like a copy of the manual if thats ok.

Mine is a sort of pearlesent white with a rosewood fretless lined fretboard which looks like it was originally fretted.

"I have the user manual from Yamaha on the RBX series containing the RBX-800a... If someone is interrested let me know... It's a 1.5M file so I cannot post it on this site..."

Regards

Al....

8. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    John Myung from Dream Theater had a signature 6 string version of an RBX. How bad can they be? Yamaha is an often overlooked and underrated bass and drum manufacturer. I say go for it since you already seem to like it.

9. Uncle George

Uncle George

Mar 28, 2011
    I just got one of these wonderful bass's, it's colored blue and in good condition, i paid 200 Euro incl. hard case, needs new strings.

I would like a copy of the manual, who could send me the file?

10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I also just scored one of these basses this week. Mine is an RBX 800AF fretless. It is what I would call a nearly flip flop white. It has a few dings and doinks here and there but nothing bad. It is a great and solid sounding bass. The action is a tad high but still plays great. Gonna give her a good cleaning and new setup this weekend.

In this basses heyday, there would have been no wy in HE77 that I would have even looked at it with that big hair pointy headstock.... and that would have been my bad. This is a remamrkable example of Yamaha's history of building EXCELLENT quality basses.

I got this bass HSC, chord and strap for $100 off of Craig's List...just nuts.

I am now going to start my search for her fretted sister to join our family.

11. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    Just found one for 30 bucks on craigslist. Jumpin on it

12. JECS

JECS

Nov 29, 2010
    I also happened to come across with one of these RBX800a, got it for $200 and a hardcase a pretty decent one. needs some fine tunning an new strings, but does sound pretty good. The only "phisycal" issue is that the headstock has pretty bad nick, I was wondering if you guys know how to fix it, and if I needed to buy something to fix that. Also, I am from Costa Rica, some of this stuff is pretty hard come by over here but I will visiting charlotte in a month so you know any good stores over there, I would really appreciate that.

13. cocomezabass

cocomezabass

May 17, 2012
    Did anyone get in touch with alondo1234 about the manual he has for this bass, a 1990 Yamaha RBX 800a

If anyone can give me some information on how to interpret the 4 controls, i.e. which one controls which pickup and what each pot is doing.

As you know, this is an active bass. Thanks to any and all.

14. John_Bass

John_Bass

Apr 5, 2016
    Hi. I just recently purchased a RBX 800A as well. The knobs are volume, another one fades between the two pickups. The ones on the lower side change bass and treble settings.

My instrument came with the original owner's manual, so I uploaded it to imgur. (I hope it will last as long as this thread ;) )

Here you can find a very detailed description including sound samples about the RBX 800A and the RBX 800F:

[Bass] Yamaha RBX-800A und RBX-800AF

(Unfortunately in German, google translate might help)

I also uploaded the pictures one more time here on the forum in case the imgur-link dies one day.

Attached Files: