Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Right. I'm gong to see this geezer thsi weekend and probably pick up an RBX fretless from him.

The bass is a Yamaha RBX lined fretless. It's about 7 years old.

What I wanna know is what model is it if it;s about 7 years old and what are they like?

Opinions P,P,Pleaaase!

2. Arthur, I'm not sure which model it is, but as long as this particular bass hasn't been abused, I'd say buy it. The RBX series by Yamaha are excellent basses in general, let alone the money. The current RBX series are the ones I'm familiar with, and I've played a few of them. The RBX760 is a four string, is passive and has a very nice tone to it. The RBX765A is a fiver, has active electronics and sounds even better! I don't think Yamaha has changed this series that much in the last seven years or so, so I wouldn't worry too much. I just bought a BB5NII, which is less expensive than the RBX series, and it sounds absolutely great. If you want to get an idea of what this bass probably looks like, try: www.yamaha.com

If the price is reasonable, buy it!
    Good luck,
    Mike J.

P.S. Take care that you don't stray into the Motorcycle section; this happened to me.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's probably OK. I think it would be an RBX 250 or something if it's that old and fretless. My guess is one P pickup in bridge position. Not my kind of fretless (I would want a neck pickup as well).

I hope you'll get it cheap, 'cause they are inexpensive even when new.

4. A friend of mine has a fretless RBX. Don't know which one. It has a P pup and maybe a J too. Looks good. Never tried it though. I have a RBX765 and...oh yeah. ;) Very wide range of tones.

5. chers chaps... good advice taken on board!