1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX series?? Which is the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiritos, Oct 18, 2013.

1. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    What do you think is the best of the serie?? Should be a good idea to shop the new TRBX serie?
    Thanks

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Leave Rbx170 right where you find one... unless you have a really low budget, it's not worth yor attention

Yamaha Rbx270j is already a good bass to start with: alder body with almost flat 24 fret fingerboard and efficient passive P/J pickups

If you dig more power, Rbx374 is there for you
    Passive humbuckers with lotta punch and output, yet not that
    much versatile at all

Trbx304 is a step up
    Same pickups but the electronics offers a useful selector with a center position (them all are 5) which is flat, reproducin' the standard equalization of regular Rbx series
    Then you have 2 positions with grade of midscoop (less for picks, more for slap) and 2 more positions with grade of attack
    (less for just fingerstyle, more for soloin')

Remember that on Trbx series you've mahogany body instead of alder and a 5 laminate neck (like on both Trb and BB series) which is 34" (like on BB series) flat and with fancy headstock (like on Trb series)

Unfortunately, elegant Trbx504 is not as good as is promisin'
    Active/passive electronics is set up to nearly no difference between the two, but output of Schecter lookalike dualcoils disappoints to say the least

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I had an RBX 374, it was a pretty solid and sweet bass. I think you'd be happy with that. TRBX is also a great bass too, though I've never played it, I'v eheard good things about it.

4. I´ve tryied out the trbx 505. The neck profile was great for its price. The only thing that I didn´t like was it had a really high action and buzzed, and I have a light toucg. My bass is setted at 1.6mm at last fret on the B string.

5. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have a 170 and a 375.

I find the 170 an amazing instrument for the money, it's very comfortable to play, light, does not neck dive and it has a versatile tonal range. I particularly love the shape of the neck.

the 375 is my first and only 5 string so I can not compare it to other 5ers.
    just like the 170, I find it is also very comfortable to play. also no neck dive.
    for me, the only down side on the 375 was the active electronics. I swapped all pots, caps and resistors with quality components and converted it to a passive bass. could not be happier.
    I would buy either of these 2 basses again in a heartbeat.

I can not comment on any of the other yamahas you mentioned, sorry.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had a fretless RBX 260 with just the P pickup that I got on craigslist for 100 bucks. Excellent bass. I only sold it because of my failure as a fretless player. I liked it better than the PJ version.

7. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    Ok! Thank you for the help. Do you know if are they made in Indonesia or in Japan?

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    The RBX170 is a great bass for the money but it's meant for beginners. The new TRBX basses are a real step up over the (now discontinued) RBX. The 300 series is amazing. The 500 series is out of this world. They sound and play like instruments twice their price. Contrary to the comment above, the 500's give you great active and passive sounds with a huge amount of variety. The outputs of both active and passive have been aligned so you can switch between them without volume differences making things unusable. The tones are great. Having the passive tone control really opens up new possibilities on an otherwise modern active bass. If you can afford it, forget the RBX's and go straight for the TRBX504 or 505. Otherwise go for the TRBX304 or 305 - you won't be disappointed either way.

With regards to country of manufacture, I believe all RBX's and TRBX's are made in Indonesia. The only current Japanese Yamaha basses are, from memory, the BB2024 and the Attitude. Possibly one other? All are made to an incredibly high standard given their price points.

9. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I've always been happy with my RBX-775 however I did replace the fingerboard with a Ziricote one with a zero fret and stainless wire. It's a really nice bass in many respects.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I own an RBX375, like subdude67. I like its versatility, but like him, I don't think the preamp is up to par with the rest of the bass, so I'm planning on replacing it soon. However, absolutely everything else from string tension to ease of setup and playing is bang on.