Yamaha RBX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sams, Jun 8, 2001.

1. sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I am in the market for a 4-string bass. I am interested in the Yamaha RBX series but I am not sure which one to get (260,460,7). I have not played one yet but I was wondering if anyone has played or has one of these basses. I play gospel music so I like a warm sound with occasional crisp highs for popping. Some of these basses come with p-style, some with humbuckers, but I am not sure which to go to..Any advice will be appreciated.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
  3. I have an RBX260 fretless, I like it a lot. But I don't think that they make them anymore, check the Yamaha website. They now make the the RBX270, which is just like the 260, but it has a P/J pickup configuration, instead of just the P pickup like the 260 has, like mine. It's a great bass for a good price. As for the other series, I've never played them.
  4. Sams, I played the RBX760A about a month ago, and it's a really nice axe. It's got two humbuckers with an active tone circuit that's done just right. It sounds like a really punchy Jazz bass, but you can also get vintage type tones from it. It's also got a very comfortable neck on it with 24 frets, and you can get to all of them easily. I'd gone into this store mainly to check out Ibanez BTBs, and was too surprised when I picked up this red Yamaha.
    I haven't played the 5 string version, the RBX765A,
    but, if the B string isn't too floppy, this just might be my next bass. The Ibanez however has an absolutely crystal clear B srting. You may want to check out the BTB400QM,(4 string) excellent bass, and it's about the same price as the Yamaha. Another bass you might like to check out is the Yamaha BB4NIII.
    It's something like a Fender Jazz, but it's passive.
    Two humbuckers and a good sound. Nothing fancy, but very straight forward. I'd say the RBX would be better for slapping.

Hope this helped,
    Mike J.
  5. RBX 760= good. My ex girlfriend bought one. They sound really nice. I don't like that action, but if you adjust it, it should be alright. For the money, they are definitely worth it.
  6. Hey,
    I myself own one of these (RBX360) and at is guite a good bass. It is also quite versatile and combined with the right amp it will give you a range of sounds. Unfortunately this bass is no longer in production so you'll have to get the next model the RBX370. This is not a bad thing as the 370 is in my mind an improvement on the 360. It's also got active pickups for almost the same price, which is an excellent one. But as with any bass, its up to you.
  7. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I bought the RBX760A about two years ago as a second bass and it really surprised me!!! It's sound is great for the price and you can get a wide range of sounds on it without alot of BUZZING (if you have a decent amp). I've tried some of the cheaper ones, but I'd say to go ahead and get the 760 for the dual humbucking pickups and (IMO) better asthetics (gold hardware, matching headstock, etc.) But to answer your question, I think most of the RBX series basses are great for the price, and I would prefer one over a MIM Fender P or Jazz... but that's just me.
  8. i have an RBX 260, imho its not a good bass. I ended up buying another one (it was my first bass), after only 4 months. I didnt like the neck, seemed like a baseball bat. I didnt like the pu either, because it seemed a bit too high end (as in too much treble). To me, the bass doesnt even sound good though my eden rig. Eh. maybe its just me.
  9. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I'm not sure about the lower line of the series, but I've played an RBX765A and an RBX6JM for a combo of about 3 years. Excellent basses. They get a great tone, and they are very playable. But, this is only my opinion...check them out for yourself.
  10. Sams,
    I have played both the RBX760 and the RBX675, both sound very good and the 5 string hase a nice tight B string and both had fast necks. they have good balance and IMO are one of the best basses in their price range, yamahaa seem to give a little more for the money you pay.
  11. i own an RBX 260, and have played RBX 760's and TRB's, they are ALL excellent basses, i stick with my 260 simply because IMO its a solid bass, i can swing and jump around and not worry bout the next falling off :), obviously the higher the price u go, the more qualitythe instrument, but if your on a budget, i'd rather own an RBX 260 then a squier any day of the week!!!!
  12. bassdan777

Jul 5, 2001
    Audubon, NJ
    I own the Yamaha BBEast and the RBX260F fretless. I like my RBX for the money I paid for it. If you are looking for something nice for under $300 then I would look into the RBX series. However, if you are willing to spend a little bit more I would recommend the BB series. For the most part, they play better and sound a whole lot better.

13. cybaril

Oct 10, 2007
    I can recommend the RBX 374. It's has a versatile sound. It's quite light, which is important for me. Neck plays light. Should be around $300,=. Don't be put off by "made in china". Yamaha doesn't take quality control lightly.

All the best
  14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I bought one an whim. My main bass is Yamaha BB404. The 260 was supposed to be a traveling bass and somewhat of a loaner, which is what it is now.
    They are a budget type entry bass that have found some favor. Mine is as good as anyy MIM I have owned or tried and better than some. Be somewhat realistic. It is not for everyone nor is it the finest in all the land. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an RBX series bass (other than they are to pointy for my old taste).
    My investment was $96 including a very good case and shipping. A friend with some time on his hands adjusted the neck and bridge.
    I wouldn't sink a ton of dough into mine (simply not financialy a good idea) but new strings are in order.
    Try some see if you like the feel.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  15. DZello

Sep 28, 2007
    Montréal, Québec
    After 10 years of guitar playing I wanted to try something different so I bought a RBX270 last month. Always been satisfied with my Yamaha guitar, so I expect my experience with their basses will be the same. I play through a Digitech RP150 and an high end sound system for better bass response than my guitar amp. I really like the feel and the sound of this new instrument. The quality is really good for the price I paid.
  16. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've just bought the new RBX4 A2 and I'm really pleased with it.

If you want a lightweight, versatile, ballsy and very playable bass, and don't mind the ipod looks, definitely check one out.
  17. I had an RBX 270. It was a fantastic bass for the money.
  18. I have the RBX374 and absolutely love it. Very comfortable to play, lots of usable tones. I strongly recomend it.