Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    hi there!
    I'd like to know what u guyz think about RBX5A and John Myung's signature model.Thnx in advance!

2. Hello and welcome to the board!
    Do you mean the RBX 5 from the eighties? I have one, its nice. Never let me down. If it is that one I can tell you more, just ask what you wanna know, and Ill answer if I can.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There have been a couple of threads on this, try this one for starters: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1278

The general consensus in all of the threads that I remember is that the bass is very heavy, has extremely narrow string spacing(narrower than Ibanez or Fernandez, I've seen some baritone guitars with as wide a spacing:eek:!) and is lacking in tone.

But it's YOUR choice, not ours. Track one down. It may be your cup of tea, but it's not MINE.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    personally, i thought the myung model was really lame. i played a few at namm shows, and then a few at some music stores that carried them, and they all sounded and played really poorly, imo.

hard to believe that for the same amount of money you can get a groove tools 7, with a bartolini-designed preamp, and bartolini pickups.

5. embellisher

Just how much does Mr. Conklin pay you, anyway?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  7. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I used to play everything from Fender to Ibanez to Tobias. I first picked up an RBX 765 a few years ago, just after they changed to the new body style, and I haven't played anything but Yamaha since. Sure I'd love to get my hands on a Zon or a Modulus, but with my income, Yamaha has the best and most consistant quality.
    By the way John, I have played 6 of the Groove Tools basses. A few 7's and some 5's. They aren't bad, but alot of them are shipped with flaws in the frets. You have to raise the action high enough to drive a bulldozer through to eliminate the dead spots. The 2 or 3 that didn't have this problem were great though.
    I also have to rebut your arguement on the John Myung model. When I first picked mine up, I had to do a little tweaking, but after I did, the neck felt perfect. The string spacing is not as wide as the Patittucci, and not as narrow as the Ibanez SDGR 506's. It's a happy medium. The width of the neck isn't chunky like the Ibanez.
    The electronics on the Myung are excellent. I had an Ibanez Sdgr I bought in Japan, and recorded with here. I went back to the same studio for a different session, and took the Myung. It was night and day. The bass has a superb clarity and crispness while maintaining a powerful low end. It sounded better in the studio than the Ibanez, a Fender Jazz I have, and even my RBX765. And live it is just as good.
    Basically, I would say you get alot for your money from the RBX line. Sure I would spend $3000 on a custom made bass if I could, but I can settle for almost the same quality in a $1000 bass.

8. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Also the bass isn't really that heavy. It's only about as heavy as a soundgear. It's just that the body is a bit larger, so it makes people perceive that it's heavier. I can play it for a 3-4 hour show with no problem at all.

9. embellisher

I have played 4 of these, and I own a Soundgear 506. I admit the Ibanez does not sounds NEAR as good as my Pedulla, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than the Myungs I have played.

And my MIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz with the '62 reissue pickups has a lot better tone too.

Wow. You've played a GT 6? That is amazing considering that Mr Conklin has not even shipped them a prototype to make it from yet.

I've played several GT5s and 7s, and have not seen any bad fretwork. I only have 2 problems with them.
    [*]The 7s get the hell played out of them so the strings are dead.
    [*]I HATE the launch ramp for the bolt on neck. What's the use of having a 7 string if you can't play it up to the 2nd octave?

I have to disagree with you on the string spacing and neck. I have taken my 506 to a shop that had 2 John Myungs, and the spacing on the Myung model is noticeably narrower than a 506. The neck is not as wide at the nut as a 506, but it has a thicker(CHUNKIER?) profile front to back than the Ibanez does.

I am happy that you love your Yamahas. They are better than a lot of basses out there, I just don't like anything Yamaha has produced in the last 2 years.

Now the old TRB6P. THAT was a great Yamaha. :D<DROOL>

[Edited by embellisher on 09-29-2000 at 04:34 PM]

10. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    1)I'm not sure exactly what tone you're looking for, but IMO none of the Ibanez basses come close to the Myung. The particular tone I'm after is a bright attack (not clicky) with a deep undertone. In a way, it's a hybrid tone of Steve Harris and Geddy Lee (off of Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures). My Myung fits the bill perfectly. Now a Pedulla doesn't have a bad tone at all, but I can't afford to drop $3000 on a bass right now.
    2)a)If you read my post, I never said I played a GT6. I said I played 6 individuals basses that were a mixmatch of GT-7's and GT-5's.
    b)My guitarist is the guitar floor manager at my local Guitar Center, and he's broken a few of these out specifically for me to play on. I'd have to say that 3 out of 5 have a dead spot on the upper register of the neck. A repair guy, my guitarist, and I have personally worked on a couple of these basses to no avail. No matter how much truss rod adjustment we did, the only way to get rid of the dead spot was to raise the action to a ridiculous height. Like I said, not every bass is like that, and it might have been a shipping problem, but we tested basses from two different shipments and they had the problem.
    3)I can't argue back and forth about the way the neck feels. All I'm going to say is that my Soundgear had a narrower string spacing. I know for a fact. Before I sold it, I played both sixes back to back. The Myung had slightly wider string spacing, and was about as wide (from fretboard to back of the neck) as my Soundgear. Maybe you didn't get a stock Soundgear, but I've played 406's, 506's, and 1206's and the 1206 is the model that comes the closest to the Myung in the category of neck width.
    4)Yes there are better basses out there, but in this price range, IMO I don't see Ibanez or Grove Tools coming anywhere near Yamaha in the quality department.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i guess we'll just agree to disagree. i've played probably 20 - 30 GT-7 and BD-7 basses, and i never heard any dead spots on any of them, anywhere. this is over 3 years, and at Guitar Centers in Denver, Atlanta, LA, and at 5 different Namm Shows. i've said to many people before that the groove tools instruments compare very favorably to my custom instruments, at about 1/3 the cost. the worst thing i've noticed about the groove tools basses in the stores is that everybody loves to pick them up and try them out, and so a lot of them get dead strings pretty quick. still, though, they've got some of the best bart pickups i've heard. only thing is i wish they had a 3 band instead of a 2 band eq. i also played one bill dickens sig bass where the neck was warbed and the nut was screwed up - cut wrong. the neck just needed to be adjusted, and the nut needed to be recut.

i also played the myung sig 6 at the LA NAMM show where it was introduced, at the yamaha booth, the thing was set up so poorly as to be virtually unplayable, but i chalked that up to all the dipsh!t sales drones that usually populate the floor at the Namm shows. i did like the string spacing, which was tighter than the norm for a yamaha bass, but the setup was wretched, the "top" was a joke - reminded me of the old fender foto-finishes , the electronics were noisy (60 Hz hum & pickups clicked as i bumped them with my fingers), and the tone was suprisingly dull, for a yamaha - i was expecting performance more on par with a trb, which i tend to like the sound of, especially the old through-body. all this was in the namm show bass, the instrument that was supposedly going to convince music store buyers to carry the line. very underwhelming - i was really disappointed.

figuring it was just a fluke, i have since tried 3 different myung basses at various mars stores, and one at another namm show, and all of them were horribly setup, their electronics were noisy and sounded like crap - very dull and p-bass sounding, without the strong lower mids that a good p will have. i would love to try more and change my opinion of the bass, but the 3 mars stores around me have had the same myung basses on display for the past 6 months. then again, the last few times that i've seen myung live where he was playing the yamahas, i couldn't tell whether i liked the tone or not, i couldn't hear him. i could definitely hear the bass drum though :rolleyes:

on the other hand, i like the colors of them - the turquoise and red both are very pretty, and while i like the wine red of the GT7, they need to get more colors going. of course, that's not bill's fault - he's been pushing for 6 more colors, but the guys at westheimer are trying to save money at the expense of diversity in the instruments - even though the GT's have been very successful, they still don't want to "take any chances", whatever that means.

i really wanted myung's bass to be awesome, i've been a DT fan since i got WDADU in '90, and it would've been an added boost for the band if myung's bass was the real deal as a 6 string, but the bass blows, at least the ones that i've played. to me it felt and sounded like a washburn 6, at 1.5x the price. i sorta wished that yamaha went a little more "all out" with the instrument, sorta like the Bill Dickens signature 7 string. i mean, myung deserves it, and i think that if the bass had more quality it would probably sell better. i know that myung wanted to keep the price of the instrument low, so as to make it affordable to as many people as possible, but i can't imagine putting one's name on something that is at best so questionable.

then again, you could say that i'm biased, since i own a bunch of custom conklins. then AGAIN, there's a reason why i own a bunch of custom conklins, with more on the way, and it isn't because i get some kind of deal on them, because i don't. i've played every bass i could get my hands on in 9 different Namm shows and many many years of looking, and i have never played anything that was better than any one of my conklin basses. guess i just got lucky. :D

ultimately though, this is going to also be a personal taste issue - so for the original poster, try out as many instruments as you can, and see what YOU like.

hey ytsebri - what's the string to string spacing on the myung? it's 34" scale, right?

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, after i posted i thought about the myungs that i've played, and they all had fairly heavy strings on them. i wonder how they would've sounded with some lighter gauge strings.

13. This is weird--recent posts have been on the Toby 6, the Hamer Cruise and the RBX5, all basses that I have owned at one time or another. Anyway, the RBX5 I had was from the mid 80's I think, a transparent red over ash body. It was my first real bass and a very decent one at that. It's what got me into the world of 5 strings. I am grateful that Yamaha made that bass at a price I could afford. Otherwise, I might have gotten sick of playing my "crafted in Indonesia" Squier Precision and quit altogether.
    funkyc

14. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    First, I agree about the in-store setup. All of the Myungs I've played at Mars are setup horribly as was mine when I got it. And you're right, those Yamaha strings suck too. But like I said, I did a little tweaking and adjusting, slapped some Pedulla strings on, and I was ready to go. String spacing is a 1/4" at the nut, roughly 1/2" at the bridge. It has a 35" scale.

15. embellisher

Tone is definitely a matter of judgement and personal taste, all I know is that the models I've played do not have the Steve Harris/Geddy Lee hybrid tone you're talking about, but, btw, my MIJ Jazz has that exact tone with the bridge pu on full, treble maxed and neck pu on 75%, at least to my ears(Too bad it's not offered in a 5 or 6 version:p). And BTW - I got my Pedulla 5 NEW for $1169, and I've seen Thunderbolt 6's with barts and exotic wood NEW for under $2000, so I wouldn't say you need to spend $3000 to get a Pedulla 6 that would blow away the tone of a John Myung. If you look around for used Pedullas, you could get an MVP 6 with quilt top for around $1600, or a Thunderbolt 6 with exotic top for around $1300.

Sorry. I misunderstood that part of the post :oops:

It's just strange to me that I've played 2 GT 5s, 12 GT 7s and 2 BD 7s and have never seen a Groove Tools with a deadspot, and I have always attributed this to the fact that the neck is made of purpleheart and wenge laminates, which yields a neck that is almost as stiff and stable as composites.

But, basses being what they are, maybe we got the only GOOD GTs here in Dallas. ;)

Agreed on the FEEL of the neck, that is an even more personal thing than tone. Mine is a stock SR 506 from the first year's production run(Wenge fretboard), perhaps the profile changed after that. The feel is nothing like a 406, and it has slightly wider spacing than the only 1206 I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

I definitely am not arguing quality, all of Yamaha's various price lines have among the best quality you can find in that price range, I am just pointing out that there is at least 1 506(mine!:D ) out there that sounds better IMHO and that the JM model cannot compete with the tone from the GT7's Bart preamp and pickups.

16. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    One thing I agree on, the GC Arlington gets @#*&. Dallas has to get the good stuff! LOL

17. I have a cheap ass Yamaha RBX60 fretless and I like it, its lightweight, alder body, and now has Bassline pickups in it, all together costing me around 300 dollars. So if one this cheap is good, I imagine a more expensive one is pretty high quality.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would like to add, that while i have tried the myung basses and found them wanting, the trb's that i have tried were excellent, although the spacing on the trbs is too wide for me.

i was in toronto 2 years ago and this music store had a used trb, with the neck through and the piezos, i think it was one of the old jp models, for $1300 canadian. that was like $800 american. i shoulda got it, even just to resell.

19. embellisher

Hey, exactly where in Tx are you?

:D

And the Arlington store has more gear, but the Tollway store has the nicest.

Sometimes you can get a steal at the Plano or N Central store.

Plano store is where I got my Pedulla for 42% off of list, and it was not one that collected dust and wear for 6 months, I grabbed it the 2nd day it was in the store :D

20. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Arlington might have a large volume of instruments, but it doesn't have many quality basses, at least not the ones I'm looking for. The tollway has a great selection, Central is ok, and I haven't been to Plano yet. I guess I'd better check that one out.