1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX200 came in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Oct 2, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    The trashed, dirty and non working Yamaha RBX200 came in yesterday. WOW was that axe a mess. Looks like its had beer spilled on it several times...looked like it was NEVER cleaned...well I knew it was going to be a job when I got it in. It took myself and friend of mine almost 5 hours to get all the stickers off, loosen the split pup up enough to clean under it, the bridge...clean and clean and more clean. The fretboard even had stickers on it O_O...and someone had marked on the fret markers with a magic marker as well as the pole points (?) on the pup....when I took the bridge off it was still wet and sticky underneath from a past beer spill....

I was getting solid black crud off the edges of the frets and the rosewood...By the time we were done and I broke out the lemon oil, the fretboard now has a deep reddish/brown tone to it and wonderful woodgrain. The frets are all shiny and clean, the bridge is sparkling, the pup is perfect. It looks like a totally different RBX now. :cool:

The body has its share of nicks and pick marks but overall its in really good condition. All this cleaning was done today but last night when my BF got in from work he wanted to look at it. He tore the back of it off and after some investigating it was determined that the jack in it now had been wired wrong. He fixed that and I was able to plug it in and crank it up. Sweet sounding thing thats for sure. But the knobs/pots are SHOT...the tone knob just turns and turns with no sound change and the volume knob hits a real stiff part and its basically either quiet or loud -- nothing in between. I do have a problem with the E string machine head. The one screw holding it in will not tighten and that machine head will move around and its a pain trying to tune the string like that (though theres no strings on it now..duh LOL)....

Yes pictures are coming. I didn't take pics of it before we got started but I have the pics from the auction, though they do not in anyway show the real state of grime this beast had.

Ok, I need a whole new wiring set up/ pots/ knobs/ etc...:help: where can I look and which ones do I get? I want to get stuff ASAP and get it up and running. I really liked the feel and sound of this, my first Yamaha..but wow its TINY, body-wise compared to my other basses. LOL

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sounds pretty cool. You need to start surfing Steward MacDonald for the pots and stuff you want to replace. They have good service and a reasonable selection of parts. You can find them at http://www.stewmac.com.

3. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Much appreciated!!!! I will head there now. ^^

4. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Do you take in stray kittens too?

:bag:

:D

5. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    LOL I have been known to take in stray kittens. Looks like Im starting to take in stray basses....hey Im a sucker for a black/rosewood bass. When I ran across the auction for it, it was like talking to me, man (Im sure we all know what thats like). The last bass I saw that 'spoke' to me I couldn't get but the price on this was just way too good to pass up. :p And I wanted to try a Yamaha but wanted to spend the least amount possible in case I didn't like it and after asking someone here about what its possible repair might entail, I jumped on it. I checked out stewmac and can get the kit needed to fix it for under $20 O_O!

One thing I haven't checked yet is its truss rod. The neck felt great with its present adjustment and never even looked down it for relief or lack there of. LOL I got no fret buzz or anything when it had its strings on it and I tested it. I should take a look at that tomorrow and see if that truss rod is ok. As nice as the neck felt I am pretty sure its fine. This bass was well used -- borderline abused but at the same time it strikes me as being someones 'baby' at some point (from the previous replacement of pots and jack maybe?)...but from the looks of it, that was some tough love. LOL

I shouldn't talk though really. I spilled a glass of koolaid on my Foundation4 once. :bag: , dropped a glass of 7up by my basses a few weeks back and splashed the Cowpoke :bassist: and the same Foundation4 that got the koolaid...and lets not discuss when I fell into my whole pack o peaveys one night breaking the switch on the dyna...:help: :ninja: :p

But at least I cleaned mine up ASAP (and am repairing the Dyna now finally)!!!!!! And I was like in a panic when the 7 up hit the Cowpoke :eek: Neither are worse for wear at all from the drink mishaps. LOL Though after that and the collision that night, all basses I own that have cases now stay in them constantly LOL

Good advice: Dont drink near your basses (when you are a clutz) and dont walk by them in the dark when you are a known clutz....:ninja:

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Good luck with restoring that puppy back to full functionality. I hope you'll post a few pics as time goes by.

7. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I am kicking myself in the butt for not taking closer pics before we started cleaning it. To be honest, at the time I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I initially wasn't going to start doing anything to the Yammy till I finished up my Dyna and Memphis but I was so stressed out from some major RL BS thats been going around here lately, I wanted something take my mind off of it and just chill, you know. My friend jumping in to help was a shock. He wanted me to hang around and I wanted to clean the bass so I just brought the bass over to work on while we chatted. I then found out that he loves to do things like this (take something and clean it/restore it) and as I was sitting there fighting with a bob marley sticker to come off next thing I know he was like 'let me have it!!! I wanna do this!!' Im like o_O ok LOL so then we both started working on it.

I have copies of the auction pics for general reference and there was a fairly close up pic of the body with all its grime and stickers and I do plan on taking pics of it in its present half way there state of clean living again :p And I logged online just now only long enough to catch up on threads and PMs and get StewMacs number so I can call them. From here on out there will be pics taken every step of the way.

8. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    By the way, anyone have any pointers on what I can do regarding the screw mount for the E string machine head? Only thing I can think of is a slightly larger screw??? I kind of dont want to swap out machine heads. These are fine and the originals. I want to enjoy this thing as factory original as possible (I mean I know the knobs/pots and jack are out of the questions but still) and experience what a Yamaha bass is if that makes any sense.

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Stewmac has some FAQ's on this type of thing and the Luthier's forum will probably a must. I suspect you can use a good filler and a new screw and you would be good but run it by the guys in that forum first. They probably have better ideas than me :D

10. ttiwwp.

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    oh haha .... LOL Now you of all people know I got that there Yammy so :p....I am tired of always mooching camera time from my neighbor so in about a week I am buying the exact same one they have and rock and roll. ^_^

Oh and I called StewMac...WOW...I told then what I had and what a total n00b I was with this stuff and that it was a standard P bass set up and I found the basic kit for it and they said that was of course the right one. Then I asked about the 'black ice' cause Im just so clueless with this stuff. The guys said the Black Ice was more for 'buckers then the split P pup and Id more then likely be wasting my time and money. Now theres some honest sales help. He could have told me it would have worked great just to make the sale and Id have never known whether he was right or not...heheh

Then I mentioned the Black Ice working on my T40....its got 2 honking 'buckers in it....that might be an interesting idea to ponder....