Yamaha RBX270 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gia, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    Should I spend my money on this bass ? I have saved around £500.
    I can get this bass used for around £200.

It was either a new bass or an electric violin.....
  2. Is it to replace your current bass?? Or is it the start of a bass collection? Your profile didn't give any clues! It seems to be a nice bass - but aren't there other alternatives on your mind??

I've never had one, so couldn't comment on playability etc! Also, don't know anything about electric violins! My last acquisition was a Spector REX2000/5 which cost £665. Four string versions are cheaper and the professional series does a more conventional Spector shape!! I'm amazed at such a good quality instrument for such a good price!!

Based on the quality of my Spector, and the fact I don't know the answer to the questions I've listed above I'd say save up for a Korean built Spector!!!!

I take it you've been out and about and played a few basses before settling on this one??

Does this help???
  3. I really like Yamaha basses and have quite fancied one for a while now. The RBX 270 is, I believe, the single pup (P-style) bass. I've a catalogue showing the RBX 260: the '270 is an improved '260?

My dealer offered me a new '260 last summer for £249 so £200 seems quite a high price for a used '270 IMHO. 'Still, if it's absolutely mint.....

For £500 you should be abole to get something really good: I know a dealer who's got a brand new BBG4SII for £249 but I just can't afford it:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    that's a nice bass. i have a student that has this exact model. but in my opinion it's a mid level bass, if you already have a bass that's decent i suggest you to save your money for a GOOD bass. wait, try as many basses as you can, understand your priorities and take your time to decide. the yamaha RBX does the job, but as i said, if you have a decent bass keep in mind that two mid level basses don't make a GOOD bass.

good luck!;)
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    That's similar to the RBX260 that several of us purchased and gave away to Scottish Rite Children't Hospital during Christmas holidays. I was pretty impressed with the bass, since it only cost around $150-$200 US. Anything even remotely playable is good at that price, IMO.
  6. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I own a rbx270 and I really enjoy it. The body is light weight and very well balanced. The sound is good for the price and I like the fact its a 24 fret.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes, RBX-270 is improved version of 260. It has P+J-pups.
  8. My experience:
    I had a 260 and wasn't happy. I had the opportunity to use a Yamaha bbg4s, which is the next one up in Yamaha land. It was much, much better.

I'd pay a little more and buy the bbg. It's worth it.

(btw, I'm playing a Washburn B-2 right now, and it crushes the 260.)
  9. i have a yamaha RBX 260 (the single p-up one), and was and still am extremly happy with it, its not my main bass anymore, but considering i brought it new for £199 i think its a GREAT buy!
    nice tone, solid, takes a beating if neccersary, really nice slap tone etc
    overall best bass in the price range IMO

good luck Angel

10. i've got an RBX 260 and absolutely love it, i got it for 100 pounds (the pound sign isn't working on my keyboard :mad: ) it has a great sound IMO, it's got a nice original(ish) shape, and it's really durable, i should know, i've beat the s**t out of mine and it still works like a charm (although it doesn't look too great :D ) so all in all, a great bass for the money
  11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    decisions, decisions :)

You could get the Yammer, and then for couple hundred bucks
    (~£140) get a nice Fishman rig for electrifyin' your fiddle. And
    you'd still have moolah left over.

A web page? :eek: Why sure!...http://www.lightbubble.com/bowed/makers.htm
  12. I started out on a RBX260 (the older one with the bad necks) and I have to say I hated that bass, but if you want to upgrade to a better bass I don't suggest the RBX270. The newer Yamaha basses are much better then the older models for play and tone though. I think if you look around and save up your money a bit more you'll find a bass that fits you much better. I now use the Yamaha RBX260 as a tinker toy (I put in a new bridge, a passive mid boost pot and different volume control to increase gain) and pass it on to my students to practice with. IMO the RBX260 and 270 are good learner basses but not for upgrading.
  13. Bigfeet's right about upgrading. I put an EMG preamp and a Bartolini pickup in, and it still sounds like crap and still has little gain.
  14. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    I just bought an older one thats been kicked around a bit and it seems to be a very decent all around bass. Lightweight, good balance, P/J.
  15. knobie

May 12, 2011
    I had one in the natural finish. I found it well balanced, good sound and I loved it! I sold it to get it into a 5 string Washburn which I didn't like as much. I now play a 6 string ESP bass