Yamaha RBX270F Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zevo, Nov 8, 2004.

1. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I am thinking of getting Yamaha RBX270F. They have it on special for $ 179.99 at Musiciansfriend.
    Do you guys this this is a good deal? Btw, this is going to be my first fretless bass also.

2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    My first bass was a Yamaha RBX250 - the 270 is basically the same, just newer version - mine was and still is an excellent bass! I did however after a couple of years swap the original P-style pickup for an EMG. Made it even better.

My advice: go for it.
  3. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks guys for the advice.
    What do you think of the price?
    Do you think it's a steal?

4. I owned one since last year and must say I'm completely happy. Great value for about $470 Australian for getting started into fretless. Sound wise it's just OK but the playability is good.

Oh yeah, $179 sounds really cheap... go for it!
  5. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey, I owned an RBX-270 (P/J with volume-blend-tone) and wish I had it back...

I just scoured MF, the RBX270F appears to be already gone.
  6. Aardvark

Nov 21, 2004
    I was also thinking of getting a Yamaha RBX 270F, havingread some enthusiatic reviews of them. They sound like great value for a very modest price. I wish they did a 5-string version as I'm thinking I might soon start wishing I had a 5-string fretless not 4. Also, I'd be interested to know how people get on with the Yamaha fret markers - are they really metal lines flush with the fingerboard? Is that better than having no fretmarkers at all?
  7. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Google it and check out the various reviews. If I remember right, thats the model I almost ordered from Bass Northwest after reading a number of reviews. Almost everyone loved the neck and the only minuses were for looks. The price at that time was $299, so your price sounds fantastic.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My first fretless (and my only fretless, and now, main bass entirely) is a Yamaha BB404. It was listed at $800 CAD and brought down to $500 on a Christmas sale. Fantastic bass. I've also played the RBX bass in question at a local store, and while I didn't like it as much as mine, at a price like that, you're still getting a great bargain. Go for it, totally. You might love fretless -- I know I do! :D
  9. That price sounds about right to me... I have an RBX270 fretted bass, I'd agree with what's been said so far. Good neck and feel, but I'll be swapping the pickups out of it at some point to improve sound.