1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yamaha rbx374 question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pusangtaba2011, Jan 2, 2012.

1. pusangtaba2011

pusangtaba2011

Jun 29, 2011
    hi, i have an rbx374 bass and i want to do some upgrades on it..
    i want to put a bypass switch on it (active/passive)
    just want to check if anyone here have already done that and can give any suggestions..
    i want to do this because i like the sound of a passive bass and also my rbx drains out my batteries in just 2-3weeks..
    i already emailed yamaha about this but i cant get any help from them..
    if anyone has a diagram of the electronics of rbx374 i would appreciate it if you can send it to this email jtabligan@gmail.com

i dont know if im on the right place to start this thread, im a newbie..
    :'D

2. pusangtaba2011

pusangtaba2011

Jun 29, 2011
    anyone?

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If your RBX drains out your batteries in three weeks, there are three possibilities:

• You keep a cable plugged into the bass when you're not playing it - a big no-no with active basses because they use the output jack as a switch, activating the preamp only when you plug it in.
    • You have an improperly wired stereo jack - the ground wire (usually soldered to the pot casing of any of the pots) goes to the sleeve contact of the jack, the negative battery lead should be soldered to the ring contact and the output is probably already on the tip because the bass works when you plug it in.
    • You do not have a stereo jack at all, so the negative battery lead and ground are tied together - but that's rare if not impossible with Yamaha.

I don't think I've seen the RBX37x-series wiring anywhere online.

4. pusangtaba2011

pusangtaba2011

Jun 29, 2011
    hey, thanks for the reply, actually i brought the bass to a local guitar luthier/tech in our place , he checked and confirmed that everything was soldered correctly and that it is a stereo jack.. now im trying to help him find the schematic diagram so that we can put a bypass switch to it (he's not used to bass schematics).. but like you said, i cant find any wiring diagram either..

5. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Do you want the switch just because the bass is draining batteries? It sounds like you're trying to treat the symptom here. It also sounds like you're leaving it plugged in or there's a short somewhere. Could be the jack is shorted if it's a cheapie or defective. Maybe you failed to mention that you play 22 hrs/day.

As far as wiring the switch, any active bass should be similar as long as the pots are the same or close. My 760 is vol, blend, and then 2-band eq. So find a diagram with vol and blend and it should be pretty much the same idea.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    What batteries are you using? Not all batteries are built the same. I bought a pack of 16 'polaroid' AAs from the 99p shop (think 99c store for you Americans) for my wireless mouse. They barely last 3 weeks either. Decent branded Energizer or Duracell last a lot longer. 2 of them last about the same as the 16 cheap ones!

You might want to try high capacity rechargeables if it is a battery issue. Just always make sure you've got a freshly charged one before every gig.

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    High-capacity charge doesn't quite exist with 9V batteries, those are the weakest batteries all around in regard to capacity, even when they're alkalines. Better to get a proper GP 9V batter or similar.

Also, if the guy is a guitar luthier but doesn't quite know his way around wiring of active basses, search for another one who does.

8. pusangtaba2011

pusangtaba2011

Jun 29, 2011
    thanks for the insights guys!
    i use the bass for about 1-2hrs mon-fri for practice and 3-4hrs at weekends for church..
    i make sure to remove the jack out of it if im not using it..

im using a Hartke Bass Attack pre-amp/DI for its vintage tone (will it make a difference in battery life if im using a pre-amp/DI on an active bass?)

putting a bypass switch will serve a double purpose for me, first for the battery life and second is to have a passive tone w/out buying another bass..
    do you guys think it will be possible for this type of bass?
    i still cant find any diagram for it..

thanks!

9. Bentley

Bentley Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I just bought a used Yamaha RBX 374 bass and I am looking for information to get a couple parts that the bass is missing. a)The bridge is a black Spector style bridge that is missing one black height adjustment screw. What would the correct part or dimensions be for this height adjustment screw? b)The truss rod adjustment is at the body/neck union. The body has a dug out area to allow the tool to be inserted. The dug out body area is to be covered with a black plastic cover with the cover joined to the body with one screw. What is the correct part number or name of this black plastic cover part? Any idea where I would be wise to go to get these missing parts? Thank You.