Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX374

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassnovice, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Hey I was wondering if anyone here has a RBX374, because I am thinking of buying one. My bass at the moment is a poor SX so I am looking to get a new bass. I've looked at the local music store and they have the 5 string (RBX374) but not the on i'm looking for. Also could you guys please give me some advice on this model or amybe some other ones?

2. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    The Yamaha RBX374 rocks, well at least i think so, all Yamaha's are sweet, i think they are under rated by bass players, they are soo good for such a low price, they are like fenders but cheaper, plus the Yamaha RBX374 looks so sweet. but don't take my word for it, go to the music store and try it out first of course.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I have one of these basses, all i can say is there are brilliant! They give out a nice light growl (Might be due to the amp aswell) I agree yam's are underated and if you ask most people they would say

"they should stick to making motorbikes"

The rbx347 comes equipped with humcancelling humbuckers which is an added bonus to this bass as it is very very quiet! I use a LAney HCMB 30 watt amp and it damn loud, think of what this bass can do with a louder amp!

The neck is very smooth and thin to play with too, imo it has the thickness between a jazz and precision neck, the painted black satin finish neck is fast and smooth but can get sticky sometimes due to long playing but a wipe up and down the neck with a cloth will clean up the mess :D

4. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. The problem was the musicstore did not have any of these basses however they did have the RBX170 which has an almost identical body shape and it felt very comfortable. The only problem with the RBX374 is that i don't know how it sounds first hand. One last thing though Munkeh can I ask how it is to slap with?

5. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Slapping is great imo, just roll the treble to mid point and keep some bass and the bass sounds very nice with slapped, string spacing isn't an issue on this bass as it they are decent size apart to slap on.

6. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Hmm thanks I think I will buy this bass, thanks.

7. I have a yamaha bass, well its my first bass. I think the series is discontinued (erb) i think it was replaced by the rbx, its an erb070, which is just like the rbx170 but without the j pickups, im gonna add dimarzio pickups soon, sweet. I like the feel of the bass although its nothinc ompared to an rbx374 :p

8. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    i have the RBX170, i would say buy new strings for better slap sound, because the strings it comes with arent too good for slap.

9. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    What brand strings would you recommend?

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah guys il like slapping what kinds of strings wouldd you guys recomend?

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Do you want a four or five-string, because the 374 is a 4, the 375 is the five-string version.

Either way, I'd keep your eyes open on eBay and the used market in general for a discontinued RBX-774/5. It's twice the bass at likely less then the price of a new 37X. Do a search, and you'll read in more detail what I think. :)

12. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have an RBX-370A, and this series has also been discontinued (precursor of the 374/375). As others have already mentioned, Yamaha is often overlooked but in fact has a high level of quality, value and tone. The bass had very poor strings - they were essentially dead; but I replaced them with D'Addario Chromes flatwound strings, and the sound just came alive.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I find Yamahas to be too "plasticky". It just feels like the bass is made out of cheap parts.

14. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    well do you know anyother basses that i can find for that price, thats as good or even better than it?

15. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I am sure some people will think SX, check out www.rondomusic.com and click on bass guitars