Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX374...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slash914, Jul 11, 2005.


  1. slash914

    slash914

    Jul 11, 2005
    First post, sorry if I'm trolling.

    Anyway, I have a problem with my Yamaha RBX374. It's my first bass guitar, and I just got it in mid May. Problem is, around late-late June, the guitar was making funny noises from the amp, then the next day it went completely dead. I went to Guitar Center to get it fixed, and figured that my bass's 9V battery for the active electronics was dead. So I replaced it and it worked fine... but after less than 2 weeks, the battery died again.

    So my question is, is the bass guitar supposed to burn through 9V batteries this fast, or is it part of using active electronics?
     
  2. tplyons

    tplyons

    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unplug your cord when not in use.

    The jack acts as an on/off switch and engages the circuit whenever something is plugged in. Also, the higher up you have your volume increases the rate of using power.
     
  3. slash914

    slash914

    Jul 11, 2005
    That's the thing though... every day when I'm done playing, I unplug my bass, set volume down to zero (it's usually at half most of the time), and put it away. I've never left my bass plugged in when I wasn't playing.
     
  4. tplyons

    tplyons

    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bad/old battery? Try another and see how long it lasts. If it's the same short time, I think an email to Yamaha CS would be a good idea.
     
  5. slash914

    slash914

    Jul 11, 2005
    The first battery was the battery that came with it. The second was a Monster Powercell (8 bucks...)

    How long do batteries typically last?
     
  6. tplyons

    tplyons

    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try a regular Duracell coppertop and it should last 3-6 months minimum.
     
  7. Bass_Machine

    Bass_Machine

    Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Some times if your input jack is tightened too much, it'll create a connection anyway, thus having the affect of having left the cable in 24/7.
     
  8. fookgub

    fookgub

    Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Open the electronics cavity, and check to see that the battery is wired properly. There should be a shielded wire going to two terminals (that's your output) and another wire (typically black) going to a third terminal. If the black wire goes to the same terminal as the shield of your output wire, it's wrong. Resolder it to the unused terminal of the output jack.

    I know this sounds weird, but even reputable companies will occasionally ship instruments with bad wiring. Case in point - my Ibanez SR800 would eat a battery in about 3 weeks when I first got it. I opened it up and found the exact situation I just described to you. This was brand new, from the factory. After the fix, my battery life jumped to about 6 months.

    If you don't feel confident with the repair, take it to someone. Any decent tech should be able to do this in under 5 minutes.
     
  9. Jimmy P.

    Jimmy P.

    Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have an RBX-370 and experienced the same problem with excessive battery consumption. 3 ~ 4 weeks maximum, even though the cord was always disconnected after use. I have resorted to taking out the battery after every practice, although it is very difficult to remove.

    Fookgub, thanks for the excellent advice.
     
  10. slash914

    slash914

    Jul 11, 2005
    Alright I opened up my bass's electronics cavity. The 9V has two wires leading out, one red, one black. The red one loops around a bit, then merges into a bundle with 2 other wires (white and black) which then connects into a circuit board. The black wire is soldered to some metal attached to the output jack.

    Any thoughts?
     
  11. fookgub

    fookgub

    Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It is easier for me to explain with a picture, so look here: http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/active_electronics.html

    Notice how the output jack (bottom right) has three terminals - tip, ring, and ground? Your jack should have a wire going to each of these terminals. Your output wire will generally be shielded, meaning that there is an inner conductor and an outer shield that encases the inner wire. The shield will always be connected to ground, and the inner ("hot") wire will be connected to the tip of your output jack.

    Now that you've found those connections, figure out which terminal the black wire (from your battery) is connected to. If it's connected to a seperate terminal from the shield and hot leads, that's the ring. If this is the case, then your battery is properly wired, and I don't know what's wrong. If the black lead is connected to ground (ie: connected to the shield or wired to the same terminal as the shield), then you need to desolder it and connect it to the ring, which will be easy to spot because it will be the only unused terminal.

    If you still don't understand, take it to a tech. It could be that your bass is wired properly, but based on what you've said, I'm inclined to believe it's not. A decent tech will be able to tell you for sure, and fix it if need be.