1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha RBX375 neck screwed! :'( HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evo 911, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    Hi
    Yesterday I accidentally clipped the truss rod of my bass :( Before you make assumptions, let me clarify that im not a newbie at setting up guitars n basses. Ive been fixing, setting up, upgrading, and tweaking electric n acoustic guitars n basses for over 2 yrs now. I have decent experience with the instruments, but somehow I made this stupid mistake. Guess I got too confident about my craft.

I was trying to reduce the up-bow on my RBX375, the weather shift had been causing some problems with the neck. I usually loosen the middle strings while making adjustments, but this time I decided to go without detuning. I tried to tighten the screw a bit, but it wont budge. I applied a lot of force, and it went around quarter of a turn. I checked the neck but there was still a significant up-bow. I put in the hex driver in and tried to give it another quarter turn. I applied a lot of force (shuda known by now its at its threshold), and suddenly SNAP!
    I thought maybe the hex driver broke. But when I saw it, the tool was fine. The truss rod nut, however, had gone free. I gave it a few spins with my finger, and it screwed out into my hand.
    The neck is now at full up-bow, the strings are a mile high, and intonation is most probably out through the window. Im guessing one end of the truss rod screwing mechanism has snapped. Now I am in Pakistan, and there is absolutely no one who could fix this for me. In short, I need a replacement neck.

But here is the problem. I have done some research, Warmoth, USACG, Allparts, Mighty Mite, even Moses, and the cheapest neck I have found is at Warmoth for $205. Considering I could get the same new bass for abt $350, does anyone have a cheaper solution? COULD there be a cheaper solution? Or should I just skip this bass and get an upgrade altogether? Im lost n confused. Please help me out here. Thanks!

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    New Bass Day for you.