Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX760A - My opinion.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XavierG, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Every once in a while, I'll walk into the store and try out a few basses that might suit my students. This afternoon I tried and bought a Yamaha RBX760A. My opinion (inspite of not being asked) is that it is a really nice bass. Feels really good - sounds very nice - and plays very well. I might even keep this one for myself. There's nothing I can't do on it that I could on any other bass I've played. Looking for a good, inexpensive, well made bass? Try this one!
    [​IMG]

2. Yeah, Yamaha rulez, I'm a yamaha geek. :)
    I have an RBX 370 A and I love it to death.
    I tried all the RBX's and I took the one with the active p-j pick ups.

But I don't really consider it to be a versatile bass.
    For me, the thing I use it for, it is overqualified. I'm into metal (progressive), I tend to take the lead mostly, the neck has a fast feeling, and the sound is a bit agressive.
    But when I want to play some more rock or fusion tunes, the bass is too bad@ss for it I feel.
    Then I'm longing for the sound of a good old p-bass.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :)
    Congratulations with your new bass.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Next to R/A's, I love the RBX series - the lower priced ones
    that is, after a few mods :rolleyes:. Their bodyshape is even
    a bit similar to an R/A. And those shallow, fast necks?
    Forget about it.

4. I love my Yamaha. I was really considering an RBX 5 string when I got my BBG5.

Ivem been nothing but satisfied with my Yamaha, and with every other Yammer bass I've played.

5. I haven't decided whether to keep it or not, although I am having a ball with it. I'm really liking this thing a lot. I'm thinking of a 5-string fretless RBX765A. I don't know if they make them fretless, and I'm not sure if I want to pay to have one defretted. They sure look nice though. I'm not a stranger to Yamaha basses, having played a John Patitucci signature (it's on my avatar) which I borrowed from a friend for a couple of months. I was, however, surprised to see that their less expensive models were so well made and so 'playable'.

6. I have the very same bass. Beautiful piece of work, although I would trade it for a Yamaha TRB5 (GAS of the month). I'm actually playing mine right now.

Before I got, I went to every music store I could find. Every store had a Yamaha, and it just seemed to be the best bass, no matter the model, price or electronics. Yamaha rules.

I want a custom.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

8. :eek: :eek:
    me like it :)

Who made that ?

What's the difference between the 2 necks ?

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

The upper neck is B-E-A-D, the lower...E-A-D-G.

Here's the whole story - http://www.billysheehan.com/gear/instruments_09.html

10. The upper-end RBX basses are very nice. If I'd been smarter, I would have gotten an RBX765 a few years back instead of a Dean that looked better on paper ( :rolleyes: ).

11. heh heh :)

What was wrong with building a 5-string attitude ? :)

I would at least had 2 different scale lenghts, the BEAD 35" and the EADG 34".