1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha rbx760a or bb614?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jysw, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    anyone know which is better? yamaha rbx760a or yamaha bb614? or is a fender precision mij 2nd hand better?

2. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I trust Yamaha with all of my saxophone stuff and I'm seriously contemplating picking up a fretless BB-something hanging in a local store. They're a wonderful and easy to deal with company. I haven't had such a nice experience in trying to deal with Fender. That's just CS advice, though. Play everything you can and decide what fits you better.

3. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    the problem is, i cant test out the yamaha rbx760a, coz he is from another country. yamaha bb614, i can get from the local store, and fender precision, its a 2nd hand.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

No direct experience with those basses, but anyway here are some differences to consider:

- The RBX series has a modern look, while the BB is more conservative.

- The RBX760A has a 24-fret neck, while the BB614's fingerboard has 21 frets.

- The RBX has a two-band EQ (bass and treble) while the BB adds a third band (mids) to its tone-shaping possibilities.

To me, a 3-band EQ is a BIG plus for any bass (compared with a 2-band EQ) since mids are critical frequencies and having the option of tweaking them at your fingertips is always a good thing. On another note, I wouldn't consider a less-than-24-fret neck for my main bass.

Strictly my preferences, but food for thought anyway. Hope this helps.

5. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    thanks... anyone having this model of bass? or tried both? i really need to know. or would a fender precision mij beat this both basses?

6. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    I have no experience of the RBX760, but the BB series are fantastic value for money - solid build, excellent 'old school' tone, they punch way above their weight. I prefer the passive version, because I don't like having controls.

Do a search on BB414 or BB614 to see what other TBer's think, they are highly regarded on here.

7. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I played both a few years back when I was looking to upgrade away from my first bass. the RBX was alrighty, wasnt that big a fan of the styling though. Neck was alright, controls we okay, all in all, bass felt average. Fit and finish was meh, some fret edges were sharp and the pickups felt kinda lopsided. Action was terrible but that might have been the store.

Picked up the BB614. In love instantly, neck fit like a glove, sound was super tight, and like the other guy said, 3band EQ was fantastic. They take a bit of getting used to to dial in your sound but to me it was no contest. Fit and finish on the BB I played was FAR past what I expected too. Felt like I was getting a steal for the price.

8. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    They are both good basses. The BB is more "old-school" in tone and appearance. But the most important thing you mentioned is that you have the chance to play one locally, and the other one has to be shipped to you. If you like the one you can try out, buy it-- there's no reason to take a chance on a bass you can't get your hands on - it's not as if the RBX is a far superior bass.

PS: IIRC, the BB has a fatter neck profile and is wider at the nut.

9. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    so its a bb then... 614!

Dave Neal likes this.
  10. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    I have an RBX760A ll

Clear red. Very nice looking and sounding. Plays very well and is light enough to wear all night.

There seems to be NO love for it at the local music stores or on ebay. Worse dollar value than Peavey stuff.

I think the bass is great and play it at least once a week.

Another example of, buy by feel and you won't be sorry.

Ken R

11. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    i know its light and nice but i not sure bout the sound in comparison to a brand new bb614.
    or should i get a fender precision MIJ? its around the same price.

12. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    The P bass has more low end in it's sound. At least my MIJ does.

The Yammie has more of a J bass or single coil sound till ya add bass with the EQ.

I play the P 10 times as much as the Yam.

YMMV

13. Not totally relevant, but I have an RBX765A that I absolutely love. Killer bass, for very little coin. :)

14. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    so hurmm? is it a yamaha bb614 or fender precision mij?

bb614 is brand new, but fender is 2nd hand. same price

15. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    bump...

16. I have Yamaha bb414, and those are just amassing. They are good PJ's. It depends what sound are you looking for... But they should be around the same quality. Of course, on a Precision it says Fender:)
    Personally i would go with the Yama because it is a PJ. But that's my 2 cents. CIJ Precision is a great bass, too.

By the way if you want to buy Yamaha, look at the bb414, because it is the same bass only without the active electronics. They are even more cheaper, and may even sound better to you.

17. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    thanks... i am going for either bb414/614 or mij fender precision.
    i will test them out too this week. any other nice yamaha within the same price as bb614?

18. jysw

jysw

Feb 18, 2008
    bump... OLP good?

19. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I would sugest the ATK if you can try one. It's more towards the musicmans.

20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Not as good as the BB614 or the MIJ Precision.

It would be a toss up if you ask me between those two. If the 614 has active electronics be aware that you would have a responsibility to keep fresh backup batteries in case you have one go out on you during a gig or rehearsal. A little thing for sure (my bass is active) but some people aren't comfortable dealing with that and I think it's worth mentioning.