1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX765A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Busker, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    It's a mid-range Yamaha five string. I know a guy who has one for sale. Made in Taiwan, not Japan. I've seen the bass before, but due to circumstances of the (possible) sale, I can't plug in and play it before I buy, I'd just be exchanging cash for the bass at his place of employment. It looks nice, but its not like new. It has a bit of wear and tear, but not too bad. I think the worst thing is a strap button being moved 1/2 inch or so, probably due to the screw hole being stripped. He's asking $300 with gig bag, which I think is too high, but are these worth $300 used in less than perfect cosmetic shape? What would you offer under the circumstances described?

2. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Probably $200 with cash in hand. If I recall correctly, the bass sold from anywhere from $400-600 new when it was still in production a few years back. I could be wrong on that though.

But having the strap button moved because it was stripped or whatever reason, it would make me tend to believe it was subject to a careless owner.

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks. I went to see it again with $200 cash in hand, but alas, he said he'd go only to $250 and no lower, so no buy. That's OK. After seeing it again, $200 seemed about right. Well-worn gig bag, a few small dings on the body, and the moved strap button. Plus, new strings and setup were in order, but that is the norm when buying used.

On the plus side, it looked like a quality bass, so I do understand him going no lower than $250. I wanted it as a backup bass to my Yamaha TRB-5II, but the TRB is 35 inch scale, the RBX was 34. Would have been OK, but probably not ideal due to the different scale lengths.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    The guy called afterward and said he'd sell for $200, so I went and picked it up. Its not a bad bass! I think I'll like it. Its a kind of see-through turquoise color.

5. I've played on the one that is see-throughish green with gold hardware. Was a pretty good bass nice tone, decent neck.

6. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Pics? :D

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Pics coming soon. Charging my camera batteries now.

8. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I guess its a darker blue than turquoise. I haven't even wiped the fingerprints off yet, but I did change the strings. There's the TRB too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    How's it sound?

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    This was the first bass that I GASSed for back in around '97 when I first started playing bass. Great bass for the price!

11. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Nice. They don't make any sixers below the TRBs do they?

12. I have the exact bass, although my headstock is blue, and the body is turquoise. Kind of strange, but I've got a nice sound out of it.

13. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    It sounds pretty darn good, but different than the TRB. But of course, they have different brands of strings installed, are different scale lengths, and I suspect the pickups in the RBX are passive vs. the active in the TRB. Also, the string spacing is wider on the RBX. The low B is good, about the same as the TRB.

I have been tinkering with the set up. The truss rod nut felt like it wasn't turning well, so I loosened the strings and took the nut out, and lubed the threads. Now its much better. I was thinking about putting a washer under the nut for additional turns on the nut, but it wasn't necessary. The nut already seats on a "factory" metal piece, and there are plenty of threads on the rod & nut for now.

Before these Yamahas, I had mainly played a four string Fender P, or similar Squiers. But I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the TRB and I've been playing it since. My band likes the fiver, so I'll keep it up. But of course, I had to have a backup fiver, right?:D

Update: I've been A/B-ing the basses. I like the feel of the TRB better. I like the tone of both, but they do not sound alike. I wish I had put DR Lo Riders on the RBX. I settled for Fender strings. They sound really good, don't get me wrong, but I wish I had just waited for the DR (the store where I buy those was closed and I was impatient). Oh well, the Fender strings were around $8.00 cheaper and they will be just fine until next string change.

14. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sweet! :bassist: