yamaha rbx774

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fusioned1, Feb 5, 2003.

1. What do you all think of this bass? Yamaha RBX 774

What's a great bass at the same price? (599)

I'm on a budget of $800. I like the MM and warwicks but they're too expensive for me.

Should i play active or passive basses (pickups electronics)? - i play rock, rnb, funk, punk, and some slow tunes...

i really need to look for bass by the end of this month... i'm looking for lots of bass low end, and chest thumping slaps and pops.

2. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I tried out an RBX775 a while ago, which is the 5 string and I must say it was one of the best sounding/feeling basses I have tried in that price range. I was really impressed. I personally prefer active pickups. In general, I think that they tend to bring out the fundamental pitch of the notes more than passive pickups.

I really liked the sound of the pickups in the Yamaha. Normally I don't like the sound of active electronics on cheaper instruments (Like in my Ibanez SR400 which I replaced with EMGs) because they usually aren't that good and are noisy.

The only thing I didn't like about the Yamaha is how light it was. I prefer really heavy basses because I like how they sustain.

If you like slap sounds, you might wanna try something with jazz single coils or a P/J config instead of humbuckers.
  3. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Check out the Ibanez BTB405, about the same price range, and wide tonal range, excellent B string, very nice bass overall.
  4. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Man, I love the Yamaha RBX 775. Awsome feel, great punchy tone with great highs. Sustain isn't that great which is true. And the pickups could be a litter Hotter, but still a great sounding Bass.
  5. i don't know if there's an active version for this bass, but some international websites show an RBX774 BL with active pickups... is it really active? Or they just don't exist?
  6. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA

oops... the 775 is active. I'm sure the 774 should be too...