Yamaha RBX775-Brice HXB406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artistanbul, Apr 21, 2004.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    I know, I know. They are very different. But the thing is I want to buy a new bass. My brother will be coming back from States on 25th. So I can't pass up this opportunity.

I need a B string, but I don't feel like I need a C. And I won't be slapping around much, so five or six wont matter a lot.

I have played two rbx775s here, found them comfortable. One of them had some fingerboard problems but the other was pretty nice. But the sound was... how can I put it.. toneless. There is a note but no tone. Sterile would you call it? Or generic? I wouldn't know. I found pretty much no versatility on the tone either. And I absolutely dislike the look of the bass. Finish is hard to take care off, and looks plastic.

I don't have the means to play an HXB here, but I am a customer of Rondo, a happy one at that, and looks like lots of people are too. I like the looks of it, neck looks comfortable, there is a C string if I feel the need but I don't really know how it plays, how it sounds et cetera. I expect a nice tone out of it though. With some variability in tone.

Ok. Since I don't have this opportunity much, and since I am buying without playing, I have to think about the resale value. If I dislike them, Yamaha will sell in no time and I will probably make a profit out of it too. While Brice would be hard to sell for the price I paid. Brand names mean a lot here. Yamaha with hardcase sells for 400 shipped, and Brice with hardcase 350 shipped. Both are good deals.

Thats about it. Please please help me decide. I have to order one tomorrow. Thanks.
  2. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
  3. IMO, the Brice is a hit-miss situation. After researching numerous threads here on TB and hearing positive things about Brice, I contacted Kurt at Rondomusic and informed him that I need a playable 6 string fretless as a "sub" until my custom fretless is ready. I furthermore asked questions about the tightness of the low B, especially since I D-tune, and Kurt assured me that the Brice HXB-406 (I think, that's the model) would easily be able to accomplish this. Fact was, it did way not live up to Kurt's assurances. Besides having surface and color flaws, the low B and the E was so flobby, it was like pulling a rubber band. The spacing between the A and D string was closer than the rest of it, glue residue on body, neck, etc., etc. I could go on for quite a while, but I think you get the picture.
    Unless you have your brother going directly to Rondomusic and trying out basses there personally, I would definitely stay away. Kurt offers exchange, but you'll never know what kind of replacement you'll get.
    You should get the Artisan bass, it by far surpasses the Yamaha. You might recall that I had one for ~ a year and just sold it when my custom 6er arrive. The Artisan's bartolini pickups and 3 band bartolini preamp will give you a huge sound versatiliy.
    Hope that helps.

4. don't know how much the hard case is but $400 sounds like too much for the rbx775; they're on clearance everywhere and I just got an rbx774 for $250 shipped. Look around and you may be able to save $50 (unless that's a $100 hard case)
    PS music123 has the 775 for $319 new:

p.s. music123 has ner rbx775s for $319
  5. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    I already have an artisan b5. Its a nice bass really. And I was a little slow on yours eh? oh well...

anyway I decided not to buy any. I'd have to ship them fed-ex next day. He is returning on 23th instead of 25th. thanks everyone.