Yamaha RBX775 vs Yamaha BB2005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRAX, Sep 30, 2005.

1. TRAX

TRAX Guest

Sep 16, 2005
    These are the 2 basses I would choose from to upgrade to. I want opinions on which one is better.

Construction: Bolt-on
    Scale Length: 889mm (35")
    Fingerboard: Rosewood/24 frets
    Radius: 600mm (23 5/8")
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple
    Tuners: Diecast
    Bridge: Yamaha Original BPX-7
    Pickups: Yamaha Double Coil X2
    Pickup Switch: 3-position Toggle
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone, Booster Switch
    Colors: Black, Flat Silver, Flat Blue

Construction: Through Neck
    Scale Length: 864mm (34")
    Fingerboard: Rosewood/24 frets
    Radius: 500mm (19 11/16")
    Body: Maple/Alder
    Neck: Maple/Mahogany
    Tuners: Diecast
    Bridge: Yamaha Original BPX-7
    Pickups: Yamaha Alnico Stack X2
    Pickup Switch: N/A
    Controls: Master Volume, Balancer, 3-Band EQ, Mid-cut Frequency, Mid-cut On/Off Switch
    Colors: Yellow Natural Satin, Black, White

Attached Files:

2. Not sure if this has any bearing, but my RBX760A has been my mainstay for many years now (and will continue to be until I get my jazz fully restored). I love the thing to death... I think the body shape is perfect. Not traditional, but not over the top, either. I've been able to get most sounds I need out of it.

I tend to get bored of things extremely quickly. Yet every time I think I may trade my Yamaha in for something else, I can never bring myself to do it. It's quite possible I never will. :)
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I had an RBX765 which is very similar to the 775. Five string ,dual humbucker , bass/treble active ,etc. It was comfortable to play but lacked tonal range to me. Basically, just one sound. Kinda boring. Not sure what changes to this model were made but I vote for the BB.
    If someday you want to try different pups, there's many alternatives to try that'll drop right in.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Me, too. I have a BB605 (with a Bartolini 5.4 A/P preamp and Bartolini J pups) that I love. Light, nice looking, great playing and sounds killer. I'v ehad Smith, Modulus, Lakland, etc., but I always keep my "cheap" Yamaha BB.

The 2005 looks like a nice bass. I and my friends have never had troubl ewith Yamaha. Yamaha is very under-reated in my opinion.
  5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    isn't the RBX775 discontinued? I think it has been replaced by the RBX375........(34" scale, active p/u+eq)
  6. TRAX

TRAX Guest

Sep 16, 2005
    the rbx375 is just a new addition to the RBX series basses. the rbx775 is still a higher level than the rbx375. the rbx375 was only made for a cheaper rbx bass that has the look of the rbx775.
  7. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    OOOPS!!! My bad!!!!!! :eek:
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Actually TRAX, the 77Xs have been discontinued in the US and for all intents and purposes replaced by the 37Xs* - owning two 775s and having played the 374/5s multiple times, I feel safe to say a fairly sizable drop in quality, construction, and tone... but the fact is they weren't selling in a highly competitive pricepoint, so what can you do?

However, 775s do pop up on the used market fairly often from people who purchased at the massively discounted discontinued price and found it wasn't their taste, so they're aren't all that hard to find.

As for the RBX vs. BB question, I think they're so dissimilar in purpose (a "rock" bass vs. a more traditional Jazz-esque) and pricepoint that it's not a valid comparison. I love my RBXs and I've used an old-school BBN5A for some session work and have nothing but positive things to say about it, but they're simply two very different basses.

*This is why it helps to fill out your profile, including area of the planet - markets vary quite often like this. :D
  9. TRAX

TRAX Guest

Sep 16, 2005
    im from Korea but currently living in New Zealand, so i didnt know about the US thing. well, u said the rbx is rock and bb is jazz but ive seen the BBNE2 which is almost same as BB2005, used in modern rock metal. so what makes this a jazz and not rock?
  10. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    NE2 - ebony fingerboard; 5 piece maple/mahogany neck, different pickups

BB2005 - rosewood fingerbd, maple neck, different pickups

Personally, unless you REALLY want the ebony board, I'd go with the BB, I have a RBX775, and I don't really care for it, but it sounds good - I just don't care for the 35" scale, FWIW.

Not to say it's a bad instrument, just player preference.