Yamaha Refinishing Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbay, Jul 25, 2002.

1. jbay

May 23, 2002
    In the process of refinishing another of my instruments. This time a Yamaha John Myung 6. Just thought I might share some pics of the process... :)

Stripping The Old Finish

After First Coat Of Oil

2. wow! :eek:

that will be one good looking bass?

how was the color?

got a pic of it before the strip process?
  3. jbay

May 23, 2002
    U can take a look at the original color off the yamaha site, they call it ruby red I believe... Anyway, here are a couple more pics :)

Finished Neck With Tuners/Nut Installed

(Yep, it's a fretless RBX6JM)

Neck & Body Put Together

These were taken before the body was oiled...
  4. damn!

now I want to to this to my Yamaha! :)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

That's really an improvement. I thought the Myung basses were a flat color--so did you know it was flamed, or was that a surprise?

Killer look though. Now I've got a hankerin' for a natural finished bass...
  6. hey jbay, if you don't mind me asking, what method did you use to take the finish of the bass?
  7. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Actually, the Myung basses have a thin flame maple veneer over the body face and peghead, just that it doesn't really show due to the dark finish :)

The Bass : I used paint remover and a scrapper to lift most of the lacquer then sanded it down. Was more careful this time, as I did sand through the veneer of other instruments in the past :)
  8. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Finally completed the project, so here are some more pics :)

The Refinished Bass

9. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    in my opinion the first color was far better..mucj more original than the new one.
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That looks stunning! Great job!

I like the look of wood and don't have any painted basses (except for a sunburst Fender) so I'm obviously biased. My next bass will be natural with ebony fingerboard, much like your color scheme. :)
  11. Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    very nice job!!!
  13. Indeed. It looks really good. Even makes the body shape, that I don't quite fancy normally, pleasing to the eye. ;)
  14. Very nice job indeed, Jbay. The photos are very good also.

Mike J.
  15. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I just sold my JM 6 to finance the purchase of a used Modulus Q 5 fretless,but I will probably get another one eventually.
    I had thought of making my JM fretless but frankly didn't want to wait for one of the 2 people around here who I consider competant to get around to it.
    You have given me some ideas,however;when I get my new one I'll probly also refinish it but while the wood is raw I'll get those square corners rounded off,hopefully this will take a little weight off.
    Did you have trouble getting the frets out without the ebony crumbling?
    What's going on on the treble side of theheadstock,it looks like there's some extra veneer on that side in your photos...
    All in all,it looks great,good job!
  16. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Actually, I was contemplating on rounding the corners on the bass, but however I decided not to for 2 reasons. Firstly, the back cover plates, neck screw bushings, etc are too close to the edges. Secondly, the flame veneer is really thin. Rounding the corners would "eat" away too much of it.

Ebony, being as hard (and brittle) as it is. did chip a lil during the defret. However, since the ebony that Yamaha used was that dark, it was easy to match the color with filler.

Anyhow, the fingerboard is coated with polyurethane, plus using a lil rubbing compound gave me a glassy mirror like surface. I actually had the bass defretted a couple of months before refinishing it. During which I played it alot, but all the wear on the surface was easily removed by using rubbing compound.

I also inlayed white lines on the top edge of the fingerboard, and short line markers on the treble side on the fingerboard (not noticable at all, unless u're the player!) :) Kinda like an F Bass, just short lines instead of dots...

Regarding the peghead, I removed the veneer completely as I sanded through it while removing the old finish and Yamaha inlay. The neck is made of 3 pieces of maple, with the treble side being flamed maple :)

As for the weight of the bass, the alder body is really pretty light. Most of the weight comes from the hard maple neck and the tuning machines (one may not be that heavy, but six are), so I might replace em with lighter ones some day...
  17. amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    how did you adjust the action?
    Did you replace the nut?
    Also, did you replace/modify the bridge or pickup campartment?
    On my RBX, the pickups do not go down anymore and it has almost become a problem. I would think that your action is real low right now, do your strings touch the pickup at all?
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Beautiful. Nice job!
  19. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Wow, ok thought this one was dead for a while. Anyway, I replaced the nut and set the bass for lower action. I have about 7mm clearance between the strings n the pickups.

Just another lil update. Removed the active preamp and re-wired it passive, and refinished it again, staining the alder body a walnut tone. Came out a lil redder than it is on the pic though. Some new pics...

Trying to make a cheap bass look good :)

Passive wiring with On/Off switch

Little white inlaid lines on the side of the fingerboard
  20. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Stripped the headstock veneer

Polyurethane coated fingerboard w/ barely visible little white line position markers