Yamaha SA70 Hollowbody Bass Vintage Guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeso81, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mikeso81

mikeso81

Sep 23, 2015
    Hello,

I have a Yamaha bass guitar that I do not know too much about. When I took it into a guitar shop I was informed it is a 60's Yamaha bass SA70 hollowbody guitar. Can anyone confirm if the information that I was provided is correct? Or can provide any further information about this piece? Any idea what the value may be?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I don't know what the value would be other than Yamaha always seems to be underrated, I just missed out on picking up on one of those once and it bums me out...

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I can't really confirm or deny, but it certainly looks about right. I like it. Not sure what the value would be though (and you have to be a paying member to ask that, right?) Anyway, if I had it, I likely wouldn't be interested in selling it. Reminds me of my beloved Epiphone EA-260s, but with that even cooler "hook" horn shape, almost Rickenbacker-ish, very nice.

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    My guess is early-mid 70's, and yes, need to be a supporting member for pricing info.... ;-)

5. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    I have 2 of these....they were made from around 1968 to 1974.
    Yours appears to be a later-in-the-run example.
    Nice bass! Looks pretty complete, however, the f holes were covered from the inside from the factory with a well engineered black plastic material. I wonder why it was removed. Possibly to access the electronics?
    Looks like two knobs were changed out as well.
    Feel free to contact me by Private Message.

Dave Neal likes this.
  6. TjTerry

TjTerry

May 19, 2020
    I just swapped a 60s J reissue for a red sa70, straight across.

We both walked away laughing at our good luck. My logic is there are perhaps millions of the J variety and only hundreds of these. Gambled on the great tone youtube showed me.

Not an easy bass to play, the tiny neck doesn't leave room for heavy scale strings and round wounds are ridiculously loud on such a hollow body guitar.
    The pick guard taken off right away along with the ancient foam mute under the bridge guard.
    Very mellow and tube like, bright and deep, this bass is excellent for a number of different styles.

Membranes need to be left in. Japanese engineers wouldn't put this on for looks.

Overall it's exciting to have a true 1967 vintage instrument that is well preserved and beautiful to see and hear.

7. Buddy of mine had one he traded for years ago. Moved to New Jersey. Asked about it a while ago. Oh, I never play it , gave it to a neighbor. Along with a Trace Elliot 150 Watt /15 “ combo. Thanks for asking there buddy.

8. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    Love these basses! The build quality is on par with vintage Gibson EB's and Guild Starfires. I have a red one, too, as well as a Moss Green one that is heavily worn. They are not easily found.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021