1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Yamaha SBV-500

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Meyatch, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Price:
    Strings:
    5421657-45817e8a4c15449a104a04de051074c5.
    5421655-a977dea28ba9ede86378ee35a489664c.
    5421656-07f8b9ac6005d1cf9b0e650f81f4b6b9.
    5421660-832c38fb0834949c3cfdcd38fac2e2d1.
    5421661-bc73013ede35be42dfb7bd7571f06455.
    5421659-a6b98ca3466a20f2849508db20063578.

Yamaha SBV-500 "flying samurai" bass - $800 SOLD on reverb for $585

Price Drop! Obviously $800 was a little unrealistic, but there's very little current market info on these. Willing to listen to offers.

This is the second time I've owned almost this exact same bass. I sold one years ago because I thought it sounded too much like a jazz bass to keep around. Then I started missing it. I'll probably miss it again if I sell it, but that will be Future Meyatch's problem.

I don't have a solid idea of what this is worth, and as far as I can tell, nobody else does either. I have a saved listing for them on ebay, and they come up all the time for like $1200, they also never sell.

Plays great, sounds great.

If someone wants to tell me why they don't think it should be $800, I'll listen, but I won't too sad to keep it. Case in pictures is not original, and not included, but could be if you really want it.

Trade interests same as my other thread:
    JMJ mustang, maybe PJ mustang in a cool color, squier 5 string, something interesting. Nothing natural or sunburst,.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    scotch, IPA and jazzyitalian like this.
  2. ElliottStrong

ElliottStrong Music City via the Motor City Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Cool bass! You should ask whatever it's worth to YOU! (Then listen to offers and adjust) GLWTS!

4. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The ones on ebay are reissues. I checked on reverb and there are a couple there in the $900+ range too. I'm willing to listen to offers. As far as I can tell I might be the last person who actually bought one of these (on ebay anyway)

5. Super cool.. i have always wanted one of these.

Meyatch likes this.
  6. ElliottStrong

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    I would check what they've sold for here on talkbass as a gauge to what something should be priced at on talkbass, Ebay and Reverb can't be trusted for determining a realistic value

7. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I would love to. The most recent listing is from over 2 years ago, and didn't sell, and the second most recent listing is from over 4 years ago, and doesn't have a price listed anymore.

If anyone can come up with some prices these things have sold for and make me an offer, I'll be happy to listen to it. Or if you don't do any research, and just make an offer, or if you just make an offer of $1, because you are a wiener.

I've had a saved search on ebay for these for years, and the listings of ~$1200 is a fairly recent development, from people that don't understand they aren't worth that, or from people that think they will eventually drive the value up on them. I don't think they are worth $1200, but it looks like the buyer and I will have to set the market value on it, which is currently $650, or best offer.

I'm not sure why ebay and reverb can't determine a realistic value? I understand that asking price is not actual value, and that's why a) its not listed at $1200, b) we are having this discussion in the first place.

If (hypothetically) one sold on ebay or reverb for $800 last month, and one sold on talkbass for $500 12 years ago, which is more accurate?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  8. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    the most recent one on talkbass that sold, and has a price listed, is the one I sold for $450 almost 10 years ago.

9. ElliottStrong

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Trades?

10. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I listed some options in the first post, but I went into a little more detail on my other ad. Here is the text from it:

A straight up sale would be used to buy a JMJ Mustang, so a trade for that would be 100% acceptable. PJ Mustangs, maybe, it would probably have to be orange or surf green. A CIJ mustang would be acceptable, even though they only come in white. One of the Japan only mustangs in a cool color with the competition stripe would be sweet.

I've been thinking about trying a 5 string, but I'm not a 5 string player, so I'd be looking at something cheaper than this. Squier P5 would be cool, one of those deluxe active squier jazz basses maybe.

Non Mustang, non cheap 5 strings considered. Nothing sunburst, or natural; black or white will be frowned upon.

Trades +/- cash where appropriate.

11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    This thing is legit cool - if it were a shorty like the old ones I would be way tempted, but a long scale neck that much further out to the left, I have found (like with Tbirds etc), just murders my left shoulder.

12. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I was worried about that, but haven't noticed it hanging too weirdly. Some people are probably more sensitive to that than others though.

13. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh yeah, used to be fine, but as the years have gone by... last year I tried out a gibson non-reverse Tbird I really wanted, but the reach just killed it for me. Seriously the flying samurai is super cool tho.

14. Hudsobass

Hudsobass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    What is your experience with it staying in tune?

15. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I don't notice it going out of tune any more often than any other bass. I'm not really playing it on a regular basis though. Is there something about the design that makes you think it would be less likely to stay in tune?

16. Hudsobass

Hudsobass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Someone told me that those models didn't stay in tune well, but I have no experience with that claim. Personally, I think it is an awesome looking instrument and wish I wasn't so bass heavy because I would love to have this one.

17. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    got a mustang bass in trade, so trade options are pretty limited.

18. Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    back from vacation. Ready to box this up and send it out, or list it on reverb or ebay.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Should have kept the price high so the buyer can haggle you down.

20. I have the same model and vintage as the OP. I bought mine about 4 or 5 years ago on local CL. I paid $350 CAD for it, no case.
    There is one on our local Kijiji, asking price is $780. this is at least the 2nd time I have seen it listed. I contacted the seller and suggested that his price is too high. I think he believes he has a vintage bass, not a re-issue.
    Here's the listing... not at all associated with the seller! Kijiji Canada
    As far as staying tune, not a problem with my SBV either.
    GLWTS
    Fishheadjoe