Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha / Spector / Else ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Yamaha BB N5A Amberburst

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yamaha RBX6JM Ruby Red

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Spector NS5CRFM Black Cherry

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey everybody,

I´ve got some basses to choose from, listed above.

All have some pro´s and cons, so here they are

PROS

Yamaha BB N5A
    Looks, Great Neck, Cool Sounding

Yamaha RBX6JM
    Great Looks, Cool Sound, 6-String, my idol´s bass

Spector
    Curved Body, Very Cool Sound, Great Price (I can get it for $900), Looks

CONS

Yamaha BB N5A
    Not Hand made

Yamaha RBX6JM
    --

Spector
    The Yamahas look better IMHO

---

The only problem I have with the RBX6JM is that I´m seventeen and I think, that a 6 will look some how wierd with me playing it. I mean people will say things like "Oh look he plays a six-string - he´s a poser"...

So what do you think ?

Thanks,

David

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I definitely don't think you shouldn't worry about comments like that. If someone says that, they're just narrowminded morons, and that means you don't have to listen to them at all.

But, I think the RBX6JM is not such a good choice... I found the electronics quite weak, it was not very balanced, and what's up with that inlay? It bugs me that it doesn't have it's center on the twelfth fret, but the eleventh (or thirteenth, can't remember). Just my humble opinion.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    If you can score the Spector for that amount, I say go for that. The black cherry definitely looks sweet. That along with the tough build, great sound, and solid construction makes it a super deal @ $900.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the JM, enough dislikes were mentioned that I would probably not buy one. Though I'm a huge DT fan, I've never had a chance to play the JM model. In reference to what was said above, I believe the infinity inlay on the JM is @ the 13th.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For $900.00 you HAVE TO BUY the Spector. That's a no brainer!!!!! I can't wait to see pics of her when you get it. :p:D

5. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm really not sure why it would bug you, unless you play the bass in a flat, back-parallel to the floor position ala Jeff Healey. You don't see the fretboard inlay when you're playing, you just see the side dots.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

David, if it were my $$$ and decision, I would get the Spector.

Have you had a chance to compare the 3 basses listed side by side?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd go Yamaha BBEast, actually. Especially you seem to be buying for looks.

BTW, none of those are hand made, so that should be a con for all of them.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For that price, I don't think you need to worry about handmade. They're all well-made instruments. I've played a few Yamahas in my day as well as a few Spectors. I personally think that Spector basses are more comfortable and have a more powerful sound than the Yamahas, at least as far as I've experienced.

I don't think the Yamaha is a bad choice, but I think the Spector would do you a bit better. Go for the Spector, especially at that price!

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Spector basses are for me far superior than the Yamaha you are considering.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah. what he said.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Except that.. Spectors are.

I would vote Myung signature the weakest link here.

12. I love Yamahas, but, I'd have to go with the Spector in this case. I played 3 about a year ago, though I don't remember the model #s. One was about $600 - one $1,000 - one was $1499.

The one for $1499 was nice. It impressed the pants off me. I still remember it to this day.

Which model goes for about $2695? The reason I ask is that there's one going for this price that's in the window of Matt Umanov Music (that's been there for about 7 or 8 months now) and I'd love to check it out, but, I don't need a new bass right now, and I don't want to go into a small store and walk out without buying something.

I just looked. It couldn't be the NS 5 FMHG, could it? www.umanovguitars.com Sorry, no photo.

Oh well.

Mike J.

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for informing me, I guess there must be something wrong with my eyes then, since I see things I obviously cannot see. :rolleyes: ;)

14. The Spector is a better quality bass is every way compared to the Yamaha basses listed. The only Yamaha bass that even compares to the Czech Spectors is the Nathan East signature bass. But for $3200 list price, the N.E. Yamaha is overpriced. I can guarantee you that you will not find better bass for $900 (perhaps even $2000 for that matter) than the Czech Spector. They are among (if not the) the best bang for the buck bass

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Go for the Spector - lots of reasons already mentioned, I've been playing Spectors for a couple of years now, haven't played anything that comes close.

As far as looks go - a figured maple top in Black Cherry, no contest!

16. I dunno. I'm a big fan of Yamaha basses, but I think I'd go for Spector too. I wasn't too impressed with the John Myung sig bass, and the Nathan East sig is expensive. I never liked the Spector body styles though, so I think I'd spend my money elsewhere.

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Try a warwick man there best to me

18. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    warwick

19. Spector all the way.