Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB 1005 as a professional tool?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markus huber, Feb 20, 2006.

1. What do you guys have to say on this particular bass (yamaha trb1005) as a professional tool for bass players?

2. any comments or feedbacks regarding this model?

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  4. beav2k2 thanks for the site, but I really want the people from talkbass to give comment on this.

5. Even though I am light years from being a professional (I'm 36, and started bass playing about two years ago...)...

I own a TRB 1005. Was never really satisfied with the tone - but after replacing the bridge with a Hipshot and the stock preamp with a U-Retro 5-Knob Deluxe, I am one happy bass player.
    Regarding its potential use as a "professional tool": The sound of this bass is very good (after the upgrades). The construction is rock solid. What more would a professional need?

Cheers
    Michael

6. I own an "old" TRB-5p, haven't played much the new 1000's trb's really, but as far as I can tell, they really are PRO gear, they may lack a bit of midrange, compared to the old or top of the line TRBs, but if you can get an NS1, also from Yamaha, you'll bet that bass will cut through wonderfully...

Construction wise they really look rock solid, main difference is the width of the neck (a bit smaller in the new ones). Mine is pretty quiet for studio use, which is always an issue in a "pro tool", don't know about these new ones though but I guess they must be ok... also, the kind of strings you use will surely make a difference on sound...

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I am not familiar with the bass in question. I have been playing professionally for over 30 years. Any bass that can stay in tune, has good intonation, feels comfortable for you and you are pleased with how it sounds can be used to make money. There are no set brands or models that prohibit one from earning money from playing.

8. yup, totally agree... specially with the "feels comfortable for you" part, considering that sometimes a gig can get REAL long...

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    A "Professional Tool" is just a marketing term meaning "higher quality." But look at basses like a Hofner "beatle bass" which is considered by many a flimsy bass - or even Jaco's Bass of Doom, which was beat to death. The Rollins Stones' original bass player used to play with a Fender Musicmaster. . ! How professional is that!

So don't fall into the trap. A $50 used Squier may sound good enough to you and be your "professional tool." Plug anything into an Ampeg SVT with an 8x10 cab, and it will sound good.

Anyhow. . .

I had a Yamaha TRB-5II for a few years. It was great but I never liked to electronics and the neck was a tad too chunky. Mine was a '98, made in Japan and it had great quality. I later bought a 2002, also made in Japan, and the quality was MUCH less (I eventually sold both). I then played a TRB1005, which are made in Taiwan, and the quality was even less. I think Yamaha overpriced the 1005 way too much.

They are not Sadowskys, but the 1005s are decent mid-priced basses. I still have my first bass: A Yamaha RBX350 (defretted). It is pretty worn out, but it still sounds as good as it did 10 years ago and I sometimes take it and play it in gigs along my Sadowsky.

Unless you are in a snobby enviroment where your fellow musicians care about what kind or brand of instrument you play, then don't worry about it. And if you are in that kind of enviroment: Screw them! Play whatever you want!

10. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    As you may know, the 1005s are new. I've got a TRB5-II (the predecessor), and aside from being just a little heavy, it is absolutely performance quality. It sounds great, the build quality is beyond acceptable, and I got mine for $400 on the 'bay (which was an abnormally good find).

I have replaced all the electronics on mine (Bartolini, Aguilar OBP-3) with excellent results.

I've played on a couple 1005s at Guitar Center. From what I can tell, the build quality is on par with the TRB series, although I can see they have taken a step back in materials quality in a couple areas (the neck looks like a three-piece on the 1005s I've seen versus a 5-piece with walnut stringers on mine) in a trade-off for nicer looking tops with a little more carving.

In any case, I think at their price range, Yamahas are a good choice in general, TRBs being no exception.