1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha TRB 1006 and aftermarket Preamp Help needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dingmel, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dingmel

dingmel

Apr 2, 2007
    Hi there fellas. I've been sifting through the threads here for a couple of days, and no one has tried swapping out the stock yamaha preamp (which is just poor) for another aftermarket one.

I have a few choices, trying to decide between the Bartolini NTMB, the Aggie OBP-3, and as of a few minutes ago, the Audere (not sure if it'll fit though without having to mod the 5 holes)

Just wondering if anyone would care to give suggestions. The tone i'm looking for is someting with a little more punch as i'm a heavy thumper. The stock preamp is just too feeble, and even when i scoop the EQ, it still sounds very twangy, just not my cup of tea. Could be just because i'm too used to my other basses.

I'd love some input. Thanks!

2. I have an Audere in my BBG5, 4 hole configuration. I went with 4 band (dual stacked), vol/vol and the 5 position switch. It has ridiculous amounts of versatility.

I've been meaning to try the following combination in my other bass:
    - Vol/Blend
    - 3 band
    - 5 position switch
    That'd be an option for your bass.

3. dingmel

dingmel

Apr 2, 2007
    thanks daveze. i'll definitely be looking towards Audere if i can't find others. any other opinions? Thanks!

4. bassix67

bassix67

Apr 5, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Dingmel, Any luck with the mod to your TRB? I just picked up a 1006 and love the bass but not the preamp. I've got an Audere classic 4 on order but am worried about the install. TRB has 4 wires from each pickup. I cant find anyone who has done a mod.