Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB 1006 Neck Strength

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bazzist, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    So I was wondering if I bought a Yamaha TRB 1006 and a conklin .165 F# string and tuned the bass F#BEADG do you see any problems the bass would have with this? Would the neck not be strong enough? The pickups not good enough? Would the string be solid or would it be floppy? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

2. I don't really see any "problems" with your idea--there's no real question about the neck being strong enough (a .165" low F# is probably less tension than a high C), and there's no reason to think the pickups wouldn't be fine. Beyond that, I'm afraid the only way to find out how tight the low F# would be or how it would sound is to simply try it yourself and see (and report back to us, of course!).

Mike

3. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I would have to adjust the truss rods though correct? Even though thats not a problem. Thanks

4. Yeah, you'd probably have to adjust the truss rods, intonation, and string height. You might need to widen the nut slots to accommodate the bigger string, but maybe not...

Mike

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, definitely. I think most B string slots are wide enough for a 135 to fit in easily, but I doubt a 165. Likewise, I'm pretty sure he'll be needing to widen all the rest, as well, which makes it a one way conversion until he has a new nut put in.