1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRB-4P owners, help me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbader, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, so I bought this bass at Guitar Center a few months ago, and it absolutely sounds fantastic, like no other Yamaha I've heard. But there is absolutely a total lack of info on this particular instrument. My questions are:

What is the wiring/knob configuration on a factory bass?
    Was there ever a model with stacked tone pots? It seems as if there's 4 frequencies on this bass: bass, mid high, mid sweep, and a very harsh treble, which I rarely even turn up.

A technician from Yamaha gave all wiring diagrams for the 4, 5, and 6 string models, but he wasn't quite sure of anything concerning this bass, considering it doesn't have a lot of literature.

Supposedly the factory controls are master volume, p/j blend, piezo blend, bass, treble, and a 2 way piezo low cut switch.

From what I can gather, the controls on mine are: p volume, j volume, bass, high mid, mid sweep, and treble (all four tone controls on the two stacked pots). The former piezo blend pot doesn't have any effect, and the 2 way switch is NOT present. In fact, it is a 3 way switch, 1st position is a kill switch, and the other two positions really do not affect the tone.

The tonal characteristics do not reflect that of a piezo system, but I can get absolutely ANY tone I wish with this particular bass. The tone is not really my concern...but I am curious to see what this bass is actually like un-modified.

I'm not really sure if a lot of you have this bass, but if you know anything about it, or have pics, please post them. Thanks a lot!

-Todd-

[​IMG]

2. jdogric12

jdogric12

Oct 23, 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    Bumping this very old thread to say I just got a Yamaha TRB-4P, after looking for some time, being a Mike Rutherford fan. Wondering if anyone can help with this request - what do all the knobs do? Thanks, J

3. I may be wrong because it's been a while since I used one, but I think it has a master volume, Blend, Neck Tone, Bridge Tone, And Piezo volume and on off switch. But It may not have been this exact model I was using. I had one for a few weeks to try out from a friend, and looked to be this bass.

4. jdogric12

jdogric12

Oct 23, 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    Cool, thanks!