Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB-5 or G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Yamaha TRB-5

35 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. G&L L-2500

47 vote(s)
    57.3%
  1. i'm caught between these 2 basses. Can't decide which.

Can you guys help me out?

Suggestion?...Opinions?

2. I'm going to recieve my lovely second hand TRB in a matter of days, so i say TRB. JUst love it frankly

sim

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you slap a lot and play R&B, go with the TRB. It's very clean sounding, and the string spacing is good for slap antics. It has a hissy preamp, though.

If you play primarily pick and fingerstyle rock, go with the G&L. It grunts and cuts through noise. I've heard it has shielding problems, though. (Can't verify this, as I played it in a music store without too much RF interference.)

4. well I don't play rock very much (hardly ever). The genres I usually play are jazz/fusion and gospel. I play for a church and want really "gospel sound"...I never play with a pick. So I guess i'll go for the TRB-5!!!

thanks guys.

GO YAMAHA!

5. plbassman

plbassman

Mar 2, 2002
    Milwaukee WI
    Only played the TRB. One thing to watch is the power of the active electronics preamp.. very hot.

This might be common knowledge to you, but 'I' recently caught on to what the DB switch on my bass amp was for recently.

Before I used the switch I could easily overpower the preamp of my amplifier. Afterwards - what a clean sound no matter how loud I played.

The point is - if your amplifier doesn't have a pad you may be in for some dirty bass - using the TRB anyway. If it does your gonna luv it!

6. I don't like G&L.. yamaha's the man !

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My TRB has actually pretty LOW output, lower than my MIM Jazz. Anyhow, if you think it's too hot, there's a small pot inside the cavity which lets you adjust the output level, so you can match the output with your other basses.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have owned a TRB6 and I currently own a G&L L2500 so I can tell you from experience that they are both excellent instruments. The preamp on the Yamaha is very cool. It recently received a very positive review in Bassplayer Magazine (in another model bass). The string spacing is Pbass like and very comfortable and the workmanship that goes into the bass is generally top notch. I found the TRB to be a quiet bass even with the treble boosted (I did tweak the internal trimpots). It is not a one tone type of bass but all of the tones sounded hi-fi to me.
    The G&L has an excellent preamp and pick ups. They reproduce the tones of Leo Fenders three most famous basses (Jazz Pbass and Stingray). It does an admirable job as well. There are shielding and directional hum issues with the bas but they are not that big a deal. I like the feel of the G&L's neck a little more than the Yamaha's, it just fit my hands better. I love the G&L's slap tone and I love the option of playing in passive mode. BTW when in passive mode the treble and bass still work???!! That seems like a ontridiction but its true. All in all I'd say you have two nice choices. Good Luck

9. plbassman

plbassman

Mar 2, 2002
    Milwaukee WI
    Just wanted to thank Oysterman for pointing out the existance of the pots in my bass. I guess a guy can learn something new everyday! Thanks again - now it's time to play!

10. Do you guys know if that pot is in the RBX765? Or is it unique to the TRB?

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Open it up and see for yourself! :D

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would have to agree. The output on myTRB is pretty mild. So I have a question. I have inside the cavity two small boxes with a tiny plastic philips head screw on them. Is this what you use to adjust the output? I am guessing it is one for each pickup. I would like to increase the output a little.
    Thanks
    bizz

13. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I also reccomend the Yamaha.

14. i would guess that that is what controls the gain.

Does the TRB have better electronics than the BBG5S/BB models?

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    No offense but I am a pretty good guesser myself. I was looking for an experienced response. ie: someone who has adjusted them or who knows exactly what they do.

I didn't vote in the poll, I don't really see the point in polls. You really can't go wrong with either of those basses. I would definatly get the G&L...........I already have the Yamaha:D

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I know that the preamp in the RBX765 is not the same as the TRB preamp but I do not know if the RBX's preamp can be adjusted internally. As far as what the adjustment screws inside the TRB cavity go, I know one of those screws is a gain control but it has been a couple of years since I owned a TRB so I don't remember which is which .You might want to check out Yamaha's website or email them and see if they would be willing to email you a users manual. They have been helpful to me when I have had questions.

17. I may just go for the TRB-5. I have experience with the G&L L series basses (i own an L-2000). The preamp failed on me. I have also read many times here at Talkbass that so many L-2000 owners have fried preamps.

I'm just not down to take that risk again with G&L. For me, sometimes it is just "one strike and you're out!"

:)

the L-2000 does have an awesome passive tone, though!

it can do a really great jazz bass!

18. *hangs head in embarasment* Man, it's been a long week! :D

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't know anyone who has a G&L with a fried preamp. I don't know where you got that from.

20. do a search!

:rolleyes: