Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB-5 problem help....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orville, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Okay, I picked up my Yamaha TRB-5 late last night and noticed that the volume knob on it was all messed up. This was a little weird since I had just played 2 shows last weekend with it and it was fine. I opened up the preamp compartment and it is definitely being caused by that loose knob (I can mess with it and get it to work properly).

Is it an easy repair to get done? It is the old-style TRB-5 with the mids knob in 3-click position (bass is no more than 4 years old and I got it used). I am in no way an expert at repairing gear and would be too worried about breaking something to try and fix it myself.

2. I just got a TRB6 JP with the same preamp. Anyway, I just took a look at the volume pot and it is soldered directly on the circuit board using three contacts. Installing a new one really shouldn't be that hard, but I don't know how easy it will be to find a direct replacement part, since the contacts have to line perfectly. A Yamaha dealer should be able find the part number and throw another one on there relatively easily. Quick question though. Is your bass kinda noisy in the treble range?

3. It can be noisy in the treble range, but it really has more of a deep bass sound to the instrument. Haven't had any problems with it being too noisy with the trebles. Just finished jamming with a guitar player and as long as I used the amp for mixing my sound, it was fine. Basically, there is "on" and "off" for my volume knob now.

I use it mostly for jazz, so I wouldn't mind it anyway if it was somewhat noisy in the trebles.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Sounds like I should be calling the dealers for parts rather than taking it straight to a repair shop.