Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB-5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Low_blow, May 15, 2005.

1. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    I bought a TRB-5 not long ago. Its the older bolt-on version made in mid 90'ies. I found that its pickups respond to touch. I have to be very accurate playing this bass because even a light finger touch can be heard through the speakers. Is this common with all TRB basses with stock pickups?

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Are you sure the pickups are not sitting too high and the string is not just banging on the cover?
    Try to lower the pickup closer to the body and see if that solves it???
    Cheers
    murphy

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Do you have metal implants in the tips of you fingers? That might be the problem!

I had a '97 TRB-5 for a long time and never experienced such thing. Try what murphy suggested, but if I'm not mistaken you are saying that just touching the pickup with your finger (not even tapping it) will come through the speakers . . . (?)

If anything I found the TRBs pickups to be very low output and not that "alive" at all.

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never had that problem with mine.

5. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Thank you for your help, guys.
    In fact, the problem occures when I start playing over the pickup, especially the bridge PU (a la Jaco). The pickups don't produce any noise when I play between them (most often).

to lefty007: I mean, a finger touches the pickup cover when playing over the pickup. Tapping the pickup with a fingertip produces the same sort of hum. They are very "alive".
    If I lower them down, they will be sitting too low, I have already tried to do that.

6. Oh, the pickups are picking up microphonic noise eh... sounds like they might need potting or the covers are not on tightly enough. I have a TRB6 and have never experienced this problem.

By the way, I believe the low output on the TRB's is caused by the active circuitry rather than the pickups. There is a capacitor or resistor you can change out to get a better signal. I have contemplated changing out the system several times, but live engineers love my sound and hey, if it ain't broke...

The most common problem with the TRB is the output jack gets loose connections, that's easily-fixed. What does irritate me is that the angled output jack hole isn't big enough for my Planet Waves cables... I love the way those sound, and the mute-switch on the Circuit Breaker cables but can't use them on that particular bass.

7. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I had this same "microphonic" issue with the TRB5 I picked up used not too long ago. Fortunately, it's super easy to fix, the pickups do not need repotting.

The problem is that the pickups & covers were very loose in their cavities. All I did is remove the pickups and place about 1/2" of neoprene foam (3 strips from an old mousepad) under each pickup. Now the pickups are really solid and don't make any noise.

Be careful screwing the covers back on, it's easy to strip the screw holes with all the added tension of the foam. Try to get the base of the pickup roughly flush with the body to start. I then had to back the neck pickup down a little to get the volume even.

Problem solved.