1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRB-5P piezo PU's volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Low_blow, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Hi, guys!
    Recently I bought a used TRB-5P. Its condition is excellent. The only thing I don't like is that the signal from the piezo pickup is weaker than the signal from magnetic pickups. The difference in volume can be herd, for example, when I rotate the magnetic/piezo balance knob fully clockwise or counterclockwise. Is it normal? All of the 5 piezo-elements work fine.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's how it is on my TRB6P. I wouldn't want it any other way. I usually blend 75% magnetic 25% piezo on the skinny knob.

3. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Thanks for answering. Yes, I usually blend the pickups in the way you do (~75/25%).

4. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Lorenzini,
    so, as I understood, the output from magnetic PU's on your bass is hotter than the output from piezo, like on mine, am I right?

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Low,

That's correct. But I put Bartolinis in since then and it's not such a big difference anymore.

Perhaps someone on the board knows how to even out the output?

,Matt

6. I have the schematics of the preamps if thats any help. you would need to change a couple of resistors.

7. Reviving a dead post but I found a magnetic pickup trim pot on the circuit board. My sounds now blend nicely. The trimmer is blue with an indented arrow.