Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB 6-II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    How would you describe the tone of it?
    I play alot of metal, clasical, tap and slap.

I can get it from a german music store (musik-service.de) for 999EUR(shipping included), is this a fair price?
    I live in sweden and i guess the retail of it is 1800/1900EUR.

And post pics!

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    bump

3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Funny you asked that, I was at a bass workshop last night featuring the incomparable Nathan East!!! He was using a quilted black stained trb II! Cosmeticly it was beautiful!! it had all black hardware and I think an ebony fingerboard/w pretty decent fstring spacing. Soundwise in the capable hands of Mr. East all I can say is POWERFUL. Nathan gave us ALL kinds of styles and this bass shined throughout!!! :bassist:

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    You sure it wasn't a trb PII?
    The II doesn't what i know have a ebony fretboard.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Nate's are all custom jobs- probably had the piezo bridge, which helps the sound. He also has his "magic box" NE preamp built into all his basses. So it's a bad thing to think that a TRB II will sound anywhere close to his fresh out of the box. I don't like the TRB II at all, myself- the TRB-6P is quite another story, I like it a lot, but it does have a problem with the preamp inducing about a 10k flutter. I thought they had ironed that problem out after the first run, but a friend of mine tried one out and said it's still there...if I were to get a TRB II, I'd have to give it a Fishman Power Bridge and a really good preamp to go with it.

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    The TRB-6P with an Aguilar OBP-3 in it is a friggin awesome power to be reckoned with. Reckon you could tell me about this 10k flutter bassic? I am curious because I absolutely hated the stock preamp.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Hmm, a bass for 999EUR with bad preamp and bridge ? :confused:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    A lot of people really do hate the stock pre on the 6P...I don't know if hate is the right word for me, mebbe more like "apathetic disinterest" or something. The stock pre has an audible warble up around 10k, this effect was more pronounced when going through a good mixer and reference speakers in a studio setting. I don't know what it comes from, but my friend's Roscoe did not do this. I think it's in the preamp itself. My Dean with piezos doesn't have this problem. I don't know how to describe it accurately other than a hummingbird effect- if you put the sound source in front of a hummingbird's wings. I think it might have something to do with the power regulation. In any case, the stock pre has a displeasing sound. If I ever get one, I'll throw the stock pre in the trash, put in a Bart 918, with a Fishman system on the piezos, and rock on. I don't care too much for the EQ settings on the Yammie pre.

9. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I've been plating a Yamaha TRB 6 II for the last few weeks and it's a great instrument, nicely balanced and tight B, I really enjoyed playing it, However, there were some problems with the pre-amp/tone controls, firstly the two switches didnt seem to have any discernable affect on the sound no matter which way I positioned them (apart from a loud "THUD"...which is not acceptable...and the sound guy nearly killed me), secondly the master volume control seemed to work intermittently(sp)...ie turn it up...volume, turn it down...no volume, turn it up...volume, turn it down...volume :eyebrow: .

Also many reviews I've read talk about how it eats batteries, in my case the battery lasted fine (4 days of rehersals and a 2 hour gig no problem).

All in all (apart from the pre-amp probs...which were more annoyances than anything else (it was still perfectly playable and sounded great FOH going through a massive rig and through a standard GK 700RB)) I really really liked it.

Murf

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    It sounds like alot of people here dislikes this bass, what would you recommend instead?

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    That workshop with Nathan East was a Yamaha Products workshop and he didnt even use HIS basses. He used a trb II right outta the box!!! One of his reasons he stated that he endorses Yamaha basses is that In his opinion, they are always perfect and set up and playable right out of the box. He also demonstrated the NE 1 EQ pedal.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Let me just say, I did hate the stock preamp very much. Now that my 6P has an aguilar OBP-3 in it holy crap it sings. I can get tonnes of great sounds. It might also have something to do with the Lane Poor pickups in it. I didn't like the LP's before I put the aggie in but now they sound absolutely phenimonal campared to the stock ones. The stocks pickups still sound great... but yeah. I can't get over how good the bass boost is! So fat, yet never distorted or overbearing. Just fat. Not overly fussed about piezos at the moment. Might think about it later though.

But anyway, I still think the newwer ones are great. The preamp in them is much better than the older 2 band ones. I think they are great.

13. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    just wondering if anyone has found the trb6II to be especially heavy? I strap the bass on pretty high and I can still feel the weight.

14. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    If you're ordering one from Germany, I think Thomann has it cheaper.