1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yamaha TRB 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Nov 17, 2002.

1. i was having my usual scoure through some classified ads when i came across an ad for a yamha, the only way to contact the guy selling it was by phone and when i rang there was no answear so could you give me a little info on this bass.

he said it was called a yamaha TRB MK2 6-string, i have heard of TRB's but MK2 is completely new to me and i can't find any info on it so could someone please tell me or direct me to somewhere where i can get some info on it

also he was asking 550 pounds for it (obout $870), is this a good price for it?

and has anyone got pics of it?

l8rz

Tom

2. thanks for the help, but i still can't find out where the mk2 comes from, anybody know! :confused:

l8rz

Tom

3. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Mk2 is from the fact that TRB6 and TRB6-II(or Mk2 or whatever that guy calls it) are slightly different basses (different preamp, and pups? and body shape, I think). If the bass in question is TRB6-II all the specs are on the link that Christopher posted.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The II series was introduced later and was a slightly less well-spec'd version - in my opinion anyway. More of a slab body and different pickups.

£550 is probably a good price, but I prefer the originals - however I paid £1300 for a "mint" TRB6P - so you are looking at a lot more money.

TRBs are characterised by their wide flat necks - they look incredibly wide when you first see them - compared to any other 6-strings in that price range. I like this and find them easier to play, then say a thicker neck - but it is something to bear in mind.

They are the sort of basses you really have to try to see if they suit you - but then I would never buy anything without trying it first.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The question is, is it a TRB-6II (and if it is, why on earth doesn't he write it like that?) or a second generation TRB-6? The first TRB-6's (TRB-6P??) were alder-bodied neck-throughs, the second generation were ash-bodied bolt-ons (and less expensive?). The TRB-II's (not to be confused with the more expensive, exotic wood IIP's with monorail bridges) sold now are also ash-bodied bolt-ons, but with 35" scale and somewhat different electronics.

If memory serves me right, of course.